A&H

Visual Representation

Status
Not open for further replies.

Degnann

As incompetent as the last ref
Level 4 Referee
I am aware there is a lot of threads of people asking for which equipment people use etc.
However seen as there's still a lockdown I am looking for photos of your equipment and what you use.
I am quite a visual person and am new to refereeing so it would be good to get a look at what others use.

The biggest example I am looking for is your sanction methods. Maybe if people could post it with names blacked out or so.

Obviously I'll post mines as well.

image0.jpeg

so far I have :
Apple watch with ref six
Digital second watch.
Fox mini and just a throwaway whistle ( i would like to replace this with a second watch, if any recommended)
2 match wallets, 1 from ebay that is flimsy and the other a sports direct purchase but the cards are shocking. do you just buy yours from Ebay?
match cards here are the biggest thing for me. as you can see the sanction space really only has space for a tick against the card.

thanks in advance to anyone who shares.

The Referee Store
Ok here is mine

2 watches, one digi one analogue
Cards and spares
Fox 40 mini and spares
Coin
Match cards
Pen
Pencils
Coloured pencils
Sharperner
Gauage

I colour the top of the match card with each team colour, red v blue, on both sides of the card

I carry in my hand one whistle, with spare 2 linked together in pocket

caution technique for me, is, my match card lives between two yellow cards
I produce yellow card, then write on my match card

red card I simply fire out on its own and write when its clear to do so.

This can mean sometime someone will see a yellow out after the red, tbh I dont care

this also means at scoring of goal my yellow is out, again, i dont care, its being used to lean on and nothing more......but, it in a small way is a deterrent for any protests...." look give it a rest, I have the card out anyway so no great deal if you want it"

my method works for me, am comfortable with it and unless I dont know about it, its caused me no admin issues.

Attachments

• BD2D98B8-400B-4E16-B450-105790A49922.jpeg
    BD2D98B8-400B-4E16-B450-105790A49922.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 49
I thought I'd logged on to the wrong site, not every day someone wants to see your equipment!!! ;)

Luckily mine is shrivelled up somewhere feeling left out!!!! No change there then!!!

Last edited:
I colour the top of the match card with each team colour, red v blue, on both sides of the card
Lockdown takes us down a new avenue!!!
I thought I was the only one who coloured the match card... Otherwise I mark the numbers or record names on the wrong side 🥴

Lockdown takes us down a new avenue!!!
I thought I was the only one who coloured the match card... Otherwise I mark the numbers or record names on the wrong side 🥴

Nope been doing it for long as can remember, for exact same reason, caution blue 6 I write, 6, on the blue half. ( no i dont take name but someone can start another thread on that if they want)

If its tipping it down, i might use old style book in back pocket, with either a match card, or blank paper, in a vain attempt to keep the writing dry.

Ok here is mine

2 watches, one digi one analogue
Cards and spares
Fox 40 mini and spares
Coin
Match cards
Pen
Pencils
Coloured pencils
Sharperner
Gauage

I like the idea of using colours to determine teams and that. So what do you write on your match cards as I see they’re same as mines. Are you simply just writing 6 in the box or are you writing a reason down also?

would you say I’m missing anything with mines?

Last edited:
I like the idea of using colours to determine teams and that. So what do you write on your match cards as I see they’re same as mines. Are you simply just writing 6 in the box or are you writing a reason down also?

would you say I’m missing anything with mines?

if its blue 6 am cautioning, i write, 6, reckless, 24mins
Again its up for debate but, I want the number first and foremost
The offence, and the time, am obv wanting perfect but if my writing real time is a bit messy then I can live with that, my onus is to have 6 clear as day on the blue side.

Attachments

• D76C7909-12AE-46C7-BF88-E97A9646B6A3.jpeg
    D76C7909-12AE-46C7-BF88-E97A9646B6A3.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 29
I like that. Could may even just stick the players initials down in the spaces for yellow/red.
looking at the cards when I got them, in my head I’d have the match cards prefilled out with numbers and named from teamsheets before kick off but then there wouldn’t be any space for the reasoning behind the caution

I like that. Could may even just stick the players initials down in the spaces for yellow/red.
looking at the cards when I got them, in my head I’d have the match cards prefilled out with numbers and named from teamsheets before kick off but then there wouldn’t be any space for the reasoning behind the caution

Its whatever works best for you, some folk swear by writing it all down, me, I go out with it blank and I want to come in with it blank
Hypocritical I know, but yes, up and coming, best practise taught is to get name, I never have, am not going to start now, so, if you feel extra secure getting name also, thats even better for you.
No doubts it can happen and there can be no acceptable number of sanctions, the correct number of sanctions is, the amount that was needed, but quite content I wont have 15 yellows and 4 reds, suppose if it went that way, i would flip to other side, or, realise at ht its going that way and simply carry a second match card
The key is, what you are comfy with, some method you trust, and can be done with minimum fuss, and, if it matters, looks smart to anyone looking on.

Its whatever works best for you, some folk swear by writing it all down, me, I go out with it blank and I want to come in with it blank
Hypocritical I know, but yes, up and coming, best practise taught is to get name, I never have, am not going to start now, so, if you feel extra secure getting name also, thats even better for you.
No doubts it can happen and there can be no acceptable number of sanctions, the correct number of sanctions is, the amount that was needed, but quite content I wont have 15 yellows and 4 reds, suppose if it went that way, i would flip to other side, or, realise at ht its going that way and simply carry a second match card
The key is, what you are comfy with, some method you trust, and can be done with minimum fuss, and, if it matters, looks smart to anyone looking on.

Very true. I just need to get out there, start reffing and see what works best for me. Also did you get your coloured pencils from anywhere specific?

Pay attention at the back! Ciley likes to do colouring in before he goes out. Very therapeutic. Means less cards. or something

nearly, it means the sanction goes on the side of the card matching the colour shirt
For less cards, selective eyesight

I have 2 different methods that I use interchangeably (actually 3, but my watch doesn't currently have enough battery life to support 90 minutes of refsix, so I've abandoned that one for now)

Method 1 involves write-on card skins (I think the refsworld skins) - yellow in top shirt pocket, red in back shorts pocket, write on them with a sharpie - one clipped to each pocket that a card is in. I'll also keep a traditional match wallet with record sheet and backup cards in my shorts pocket, but generally won't touch this. Sometimes also keep another "pair" of cards in my top right pocket if I want to have the option of a quick 2nd yellow/red, but I've gone off this idea recently.
Score goes as a tally along the top of the yellow card, cautions are taken by writing the shirt number, followed by the time and 2 letters to describe the offence. If it's a C2 to C7, I'll write that down (the skins I use have those codes at the bottom), if it's some form of C1 I'll just use 2 letters to try and match what I remember of the FA caution codes (et FT for foul tackle, AA for adopting an aggressive attitude etc. Same on the red if I need to use it. This is my preferred method and I'll use it if I have team sheets I trust are accurate and am NOT being observed, observers don't tend to like write-on cards in my experience.

Method 2 uses a more traditional match card - if I'm doing Sunday League without team sheets, this will be blank, if I've got team sheets I don't totally trust, am being observed or am on the senior line, I'll fill it in pre-match usually just with surnames. Pencil tucked into the book and a pen clipped to my top pocket as backup, spare set of cards in a shirt pocket as well. Same system as above when it comes to noting down the offence - find/get the player's name, write something like 60/FT in the box and show the card out of the wallet.

Both methods also include a smartwatch on my left wrist (running refsix if I'm using it, or just a countdown timer and exercise tracker set to a 45 minute run if not) and a digital casio on my right wrist which I'll stop/start for any major injuries or subs. I use two whistles clipped together on a wrist lanyard, so that I can hold one in the palm of my hand and the other in my fingertips, plus a spare whistle in my left shorts pocket. I keep losing coins regardless of where I try and store them, but currently I tend to tuck them behind the red card in the wallet and hope I don't have to use it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back