A&H

wall moving - help

Charlie Jones

Work Until You Don't Have To Introduce Yourself
hi guys ... bit of advice - and happy for any critisim if I was wrong ...

free kick in front of me ... (im AR) ref paces the wall, all good - as he blows the whistle, and before the kick is taken, the wall moves around a yard (shuffles forward) now I didn't flag until after the kick as I wanted to see if a goal would be scored or not ...

was I in the right or wrong? (goal wasn't scored, flagged and ref got a retake etc etc)

cheers

The Referee Store
If I were in the middle this is exactly what I would want my AR to do. If you start waving before the kick is taken the offence hasn't actually occurred yet because the ball's not live. The ref definitely doesn't want to be blowing the whistle while the ball is in flight from DFK so there's no point in waving until the outcome is known.

Just make sure you get the number of the player who blocked the ball as the referee will need to caution him.

If the ball wasn't blocked them keep your flag down as it isn't credible to come in there.

I ageee with your actions Charlie.

What I have found works is when the ref counted the yards he says loudly, so all can hear, to the AR, you in this case, please watch and keep an eye on the wall. The wall now know you are watching and tend not to move.

Alternatively you give the wall the same shout before the free kick is taken.

@BES ... the ref did give the shout, so I thought it was a bit silly that they still decided too!

@RustyRef ... this is where I concede that I waved my flag - nobody in the wall touched the ball, ref still give a re take for encroachment

I'd be looking to see if there are any issues from the attacking side - i.e. did they notice? Was there an appeal? If not, I'd expect you to keep the flag down and play on. It's only if it hits the wall, or the encroachment is so bad that's it's putting the kicker at a significant disadvantage that i'd expect you to come in.

Same as encroachment by GK at a penalty - if it's stuck 10 yards over the bar and no one has noticed the goalkeeper 5 yards off his line we just play on.

You weren't wrong - far from it - it's just it can make you a target unnecessarily.

thanks @Monotone Whistle ... much appreciated

was one of those where its never happened, and then boom, I didn't know what was best

fortunately nobody moaned in the crowd or on the pitch

Getting involved in the wall is within your remit under the LotG. Assistants may enter the field of play to help monitor the wall (or words to that effect)

Back