A&H

Was it really Violent Conduct?

Ref1995

In my Sunday League match yesterday a competitive Cup game I had an incident in the 85th minute where I dissmissed a player for Violent Conduct but the more I think about it I'm not sure if I made the right call.
I gave a foul against the player nothing more than that just a bit careless. As the Yellow team are setting up the set piece theres a bit of verbals between the player who committed the foul and an opponent. The Red player then starts walking back towards the guy he's having verbals with and pushes him. Easy Caution. He's then walking towards him again and is being held back by his captain and a few others and then say "come on then I'll break your ****ing jaw" I took that as violent conduct. As had he then done it 2 minutes later I hadn't done anything to prevent it I went with straight Red VC.
At the end of the game his manager asked me what it was for I explained and he was understanding and accepted it. He did though as whether it was actually violent conduct, my answer was a violent threat is still violent.
Do we think I got it right with a straight red or should I have gone 3 card trick, 1 yellow for pushing and second for AA?

The Referee Store
Definitely a red card.

Definitely not for Violent Conduct. Needs (at least an attempt at) physical contact for that to be applicable.

You could take your pick ... straight red for Offensive Language or second yellow, as you say, for adopting an Aggressive Attitude,

Immediate thought was OFFINABUS, I had an incident yesterday where I sin binned a player for dissent, looking back I think I should've just gone yellow for adopting aggressive attitude as it was his screaming reaction to a decision but it wasn't dissent as such as he didn't really disagree with me, he just took the decision against him badly. The 10 mins off seemed to do him good though and he apologised after.

Violent conduct
Violent conduct is when a player uses or attempts to use excessive force or
brutality against an opponent
when not challenging for the ball, or against a
team-mate, team official, match official, spectator or any other person,
regardless of whether contact is made.

He has not attempted it
I am probably in the AA camp here.
YC for push.
YC for AA.
Hard sell though as a double caution

Immediate thought was OFFINABUS, I had an incident yesterday where I sin binned a player for dissent, looking back I think I should've just gone yellow for adopting aggressive attitude as it was his screaming reaction to a decision but it wasn't dissent as such as he didn't really disagree with me, he just took the decision against him badly. The 10 mins off seemed to do him good though and he apologised after.
Sounds like dissent to me. One mustn't invent a lenient option when it comes to verbals

Sounds like dissent to me. One mustn't invent a lenient option when it comes to verbals

I didn't think I was inventing a lenient option, more thinking about the best or correct option. As I say, it wasn't a disagreement with my decision as such, if sin bin was the correct decision then I'm quite happy I got it right first time.

As others have said it can't be VC. It's a minimum of a caution for AAA, so he is going anyway, but you really want to think about whether you want to restart play with a player that has made a threat of extreme violence still on the pitch. Chances are the caution hasn't calmed him down and he'll carry out his threat, or even worse the hard case on the other team will try to show that he is harder and commit SFP or VC against him. For that reason I certainly wouldn't criticise any referee for going OFFINABUS here.

I've sent a player off for OFFINABUS before for threats, including a graphic description of what he would do in the car park after the match. No problem with the red, but report it as OFFINABUS rather than VC.

Even if he wasn't already on a caution, I would walk him. It is OFFINABUS, not AA. AA is more like squaring up, shoulders back etc.

OFFINABUS. Make sure you report what you heard and saw.

Remember, if you are unsure at the time, you do nothave to tell players what they are being dismissed for. Chances are, he knows anyways lol.

Edit: might get a bit of flack for it but the important thing is that he walks. I'd encourage any referee reading this to make sure he issues a red card. If he's being held back, it doesn't sound like an empty half hearted threat.

However, like I said, the important thing is he walks. A second yellow IMO would be "the wrong" decision but at least it ends with the same outcome.

Back