A&H

WBA vs CRYSTAL P - Foster?

D

Deleted member 2447

Last game MOTD Ben Foster being cute in the area from a pass back. Loses control under pressure then falls to the ground to shield. Fleeting hand contact on ball tokeepaway from attacker. Surely an IDFK and YC for USB? Thoughts ?

The Referee Store
Haven't seen it, but it can't be a caution as keepers cannot be guilty of misconduct relating to handling in their penalty area. Even if he dives to save a back pass that is heading for the top corner all you can go is give the IDFK, you can't caution or send off.

I have great respect for your knowledge and experience but I don’t see in the LOTG where the GK is shielded from a sanction for USB simply because he uses his hands in the area.
In Fosters case he’s well aware he can’t touch the ball as it’s been passed back to him, the attacking player is close to gaining possession with clear sight of goal before the little push on the ball from the now prostrate Foster. Deliberate infringement to prevent possession to the attacker and for me that’s USB.
Grateful if I’ve missed something in law.
Cheers!

I have great respect for your knowledge and experience but I don’t see in the LOTG where the GK is shielded from a sanction for USB simply because he uses his hands in the area.
Page 98 of 17/18:

LotG 17/17 said:
The goalkeeper has the same restrictions on handling the ball as any other player outside the penalty area. Inside their penalty area, the goalkeeper cannot be guilty of a handling offence incurring a direct free kick or any related sanction but can be guilty of handling offences that incur an indirect free kick.

The law says the goalkeeper can not be sanctioned for DFK handling offences. The OP is a IFK offence.

EDIT: I haven't seen the OP so I don't know if it is a yellow card. All I am saying is that it is possible for it to be a YC.

Last edited:
Page 98 of 17/18:
Alex - yes I know that but as the last poster agrees his handling was a IDFK offence so the reference to “any related sanction” protection does not apply ...
I’ll stop there but for me it remains unclear ...

Email to David Elleray (both on this forum, and elsewhere) confirmed that this "any related sanction" is intended to apply to all FKs given to a GK within their own penalty area with regards to handling.

I suspect that we'll see a language clarification on that next year.

Back