A&H

Wear this ref

Where in the guidance does it specifically say that it must be tucked in??? Just asking for a scruffy friend!! :cool:

Last edited:
The Referee Store
Where in the guidance does it specifically say that it must be tucked in??? Just asking for a scruffy friend!! :cool:

Tell your scruffy Yorkshire chum that it doesn't actually say a shirt MUST be tucked in. 😉
Standards - not just something the Romans carried into battle you know ... 😉😎

Jack on the phone to Harry:"mate can you bring the away set of our jerseys to the game tomorrow. Refs in this league can only wear black"
Harry:" I've got to wash them mate. Can't be bothered"
Jack:"wash them and bring them or the ref won't do the game"
Harry:"I'll bring a bib for the ref"
Jack: "refs don't wear bibs"
Harry:"last week's ref did. Don't worry"
I'm an obsessive tucker-inner
I'm still being constantly reminded that i used to tuck my jumpers in when i was at Uni
Google 'Geordie Jumpers' for more info...:cool:

Reactions: one
I'm an obsessive tucker-inner
I'm still being constantly reminded that i used to tuck my jumpers in when i was at Uni
Google 'Geordie Jumpers' for more info...:cool:

Are you old enough to remember "Geordie Jeans?" ;) :D

Please see my post (number 17 in this thread) where I explained why I wore a bib; sorry that you think my actions were “silly”, but I stand by them, and would do the same if presented with the same circumstances.

It does sadden me that you have such views, and I disagree with you entirely: at grassroots level it is about 22+ individuals enjoying a game of football ( after all, they are paying to play.)

What is silly is that if I’d said “no” to wearing a bib, one of two things would have happened: the game would have had to have been abandoned or someone would have had to be plucked from the crowd to take the middle. Either outcome would have been a worse outcome than me putting on a bib.

We, as refs, are in a fairly unique position at grassroots: we get paid, and we are in demand. Sometimes this can lead us to forget the hassles and difficulties club secretaries and managers may have to go through to get a game on: booking pitches, refs; getting enough players and making sure they are registered; liaising with oppositions; finances.

We (as refs) are facilitators - lets make it as easy as possible for these unsung heroes to put on a game of football- be contactable, be punctual, be fair, and, if necessary, be flexible. i do this as a hobby as I enjoy it: I enjoy the combination of mental and physical challenge, but I also derive some pleasure from knowing that I have helped 22 people enjoy a game of football

We all have enough things to worry about in our lives, let’s not add referees wearing bibs when circumstances dictate to that list.

I've said that I believe that enjoyment and participation is important, especially at grassroots level, however there has to be a balance. Clubs are told what is and is not acceptable from a kit perspective. They also know what colour the referee will wear 3 weeks next Sunday in our county (hint its black).

Typically, the request for the referee to change or wear a bib comes from ONE team, which is the team that is wearing the clashing kit. Either the shirts have some sort of clash but the rest of the kit doesn't - in which case they can differentiate through shorts and socks, or its a complete clash (normally driven by them declaring their All Navy coloured strip as being "Blue" to the league" You as a referee changing benefits them and them alone.

Picture this scenario:

Team A turns up, they have a kit that clashes and have 14 players. They ask "Ref, could you please wear a bib today so you don't clash with our kit?" and you agree (after all its about participation and enjoyment at grassroots level)
Team B turns up. They have a non clashing kit and a bare 11 players.

In the pre match equipment check, you notice one of Team B has an earring in. You ask them to remove it and they refuse saying that its only just been done and the hole will close up. Do you:

a) refuse to let them play - in which case you are perceived to have favoured Team A by making a concession to them. You have also ruined the enjoyment and participation of Team B as they now have to play the game with 10 players until/unless the player in question removes the earring.
b) let him play with the earring taped up - after all its about enjoyment and participation right, plus its perceived that you "owe" Team B a favour as you were willing to overlook some equipment issues for Team A, why not do so for Team B?

Assuming I've taken choice A the following then happens. The 10 men of Team B are losing 3-0 after 20 minutes. The manager of the team, who is also running the line waves furiously to get your attention and tells you he wants to make a "sub" I.e bringing another player on to replace the lad who has gone home. Only problem is that when he gave you a team sheet, he didn't name any subs, so the player should not be able to play. do you:

a) refuse to let him play, after all subs need to be named on the team sheet in advance of the game?
b) let him come on as the 11th player, despite not being named on the team sheet?

Assuming i've taken choice A again, we fast forward.

In the 50th minute of the game, the now 9 man Team B (Big John's dodgy knee went again and he couldn't carry on) are losing 8-0, with 5 of the goals scored in the 10 minutes since they went down to 9 men. Team A's striker fires a shot at the top corner only to be denied by an acrobatic tip over the bar - the only issue being the save was made by Team B's central defender. You award the penalty and as you go to send off Team B's central defender and reduce Team B to 8 men, the players from Team A surround you and ask you not to send him off - they are 8-0 down, already two men down, there is 40 minutes of the game left to play, its likely to turn into a farce. Do you send him off, or not?

Yes, I'm exaggerating here, but fundamentally as a referee you are expected to be fair to both sides. The moment you start making concessions to teams based on arbitrary application of Laws, County or Competition Rules, then you open yourself up being accused of having favoured one side, or make other concessions that the other team may ask for.

As for your comment about having to either abandon or get someone else to ref, you missed the 3rd option - "None of us are changing our kits, lets get on with it" Having been there and refused to wear a bib on a game myself twice since I started refereeing, other than a little bit of a whinge from 1 or 2 players, the rest got on with the game without any issues.

I think we'll agree to disagree. Until such time as my county FA specifies a secondary colour can be worn by referees, teams can have me in "any colour they like, as long as its black" to quote Henry Ford.

I've said that I believe that enjoyment and participation is important, especially at grassroots level, however there has to be a balance. Clubs are told what is and is not acceptable from a kit perspective. They also know what colour the referee will wear 3 weeks next Sunday in our county (hint its black).

Typically, the request for the referee to change or wear a bib comes from ONE team, which is the team that is wearing the clashing kit. Either the shirts have some sort of clash but the rest of the kit doesn't - in which case they can differentiate through shorts and socks, or its a complete clash (normally driven by them declaring their All Navy coloured strip as being "Blue" to the league" You as a referee changing benefits them and them alone.

Picture this scenario:

Team A turns up, they have a kit that clashes and have 14 players. They ask "Ref, could you please wear a bib today so you don't clash with our kit?" and you agree (after all its about participation and enjoyment at grassroots level)

In the pre match equipment check, you notice one of Team B has an earring in. You ask them to remove it and they refuse saying that its only just been done and the hole will close up. Do you:

a) refuse to let them play - in which case you are perceived to have favoured Team A by making a concession to them. You have also ruined the enjoyment and participation of Team B as they now have to play the game with 10 players until/unless the player in question removes the earring.
b) let him play with the earring taped up - after all its about enjoyment and participation right, plus its perceived that you "owe" Team B a favour as you were willing to overlook some equipment issues for Team A, why not do so for Team B?

Assuming I've taken choice A the following then happens. The 10 men of Team B are losing 3-0 after 20 minutes. The manager of the team, who is also running the line waves furiously to get your attention and tells you he wants to make a "sub" I.e bringing another player on to replace the lad who has gone home. Only problem is that when he gave you a team sheet, he didn't name any subs, so the player should not be able to play. do you:

a) refuse to let him play, after all subs need to be named on the team sheet in advance of the game?
b) let him come on as the 11th player, despite not being named on the team sheet?

In the 50th minute of the game, the now 9 man Team B (Big John's dodgy knee went again and he couldn't carry on) are losing 8-0, with 5 of the goals scored in the 10 minutes since they went down to 9 men. Team A's striker fires a shot at the top corner only to be denied by an acrobatic tip over the bar - the only issue being the save was made by Team B's central defender. You award the penalty and as you go to send off Team B's central defender and reduce Team B to 8 men, the players from Team A surround you and ask you not to send him off - they are 8-0 down, already two men down, there is 40 minutes of the game left to play, its likely to turn into a farce. Do you send him off, or not?

Yes, I'm exaggerating here, but fundamentally as a referee you are expected to be fair to both sides. The moment you start making concessions to teams based on arbitrary application of Laws, County or Competition Rules, then you open yourself up being accused of having favoured one side, or make other concessions that the other team may ask for.

As for your comment about having to either abandon or get someone else to ref, you missed the 3rd option - "None of us are changing our kits, lets get on with it" Having been there and refused to wear a bib on a game myself twice since I started refereeing, other than a little bit of a whinge from 1 or 2 players, the rest got on with the game without any issues.

I think we'll agree to disagree. Until such time as my county FA specifies a secondary colour can be worn by referees, teams can have me in "any colour they like, as long as its black" to quote Henry Ford.
Blimey, this discussion has taken a imaginatively complicated turn :confused:
When i was faced with a team in black, rather than abandon, I slipped on my little yellow number (FA badged) and none of these prophecies materialized. Thirty of us engaged in football for 90 minutes, just as we would have done if someone had nicked the corner flags

Picture this scenario:

That's some scenario. A coloured shirt isn't a safety issue, jewellery is.

That's some scenario. A coloured shirt isn't a safety issue, jewellery is.

To you and me it is. But to a player on a Sunday morning who has just seen you agree to make an allowance for the other teams equipment, it can be perceived that you are being inconsistent or showing favouritism.
@Big Cat correct its some scenario. However the point i'm making is in each of those 4 scenarios there is a "correct" action to take, which may be unpopular and there is an alternative action you can choose to take which is going to be more popular and enhance enjoyment and participation (speak at grassroots level).

If there are no corner flags, i'm playing the game, just as i'm playing the game if one team's kit clashes with mine, or their socks/shorts clash.

I’ve played with half the lines marked on an early pre season game., it wasn’t about me, or dem rules, it was about facilitating a friendly game of football, 30 lads turn up for a knock about, god knows what’s that’s cost in fuel, time, babysitting etc, Yes it wasn’t any higher level but 30 lads went home happy and I can’t even remember if I had my shirt in or out! It didn’t really matter! 🌝

To you and me it is. But to a player on a Sunday morning who has just seen you agree to make an allowance for the other teams equipment, it can be perceived that you are being inconsistent or showing favouritism.
@Big Cat correct its some scenario. However the point i'm making is in each of those 4 scenarios there is a "correct" action to take, which may be unpopular and there is an alternative action you can choose to take which is going to be more popular and enhance enjoyment and participation (speak at grassroots level).

If there are no corner flags, i'm playing the game, just as i'm playing the game if one team's kit clashes with mine, or their socks/shorts clash.

That just wouldn't happen. You're not being inconsistent because it's two completely separate issues and nobody would see the ref swapping their shirt as favouritism. These highly unlikely scenarios are just clouding the issue imo. Shirts clash and you have a spare that's a different colour then just stick it on. Simple common sense, nobody loses (apart from the ref who gets a ban from all football activities lol. I still can't get over how ridiculous that is).

Sooo, you’re making rules up as you are going along then? 🧐
There is no rules either against going to the game wearing shorts with a tear in the crotch making one's underpants visible (if wearing any). No rules to wear underpants too. :)

The laws are not expected to include acceptable social and professional standards (relevant to the job you are doing). I know you don't believe it but the acceptable standard for a referee is shirt tucked in (for now).

There is no rules either against going to the game wearing shorts with a tear in the crotch making one's underpants visible (if wearing any). No rules to wear underpants too. :)

The laws are not expected to include acceptable social and professional standards (relevant to the job you are doing). I know you don't believe it but the acceptable standard for a referee is shirt tucked in (for now).
Oh Bless, I do love this made up stuff.... any more of this expectation stuff?

i just cant work out why, faced with a clash, a referee would not be proactive enough to act sensibly
To say, am wearing black because the fa demand it is stubborn, its not the fa officiating the game, its you, the human, use some common sense and find a alternitive, the important factor in a game of football is one thing, the players, and they dont care what you wear, its your referee ability and impartiality that they require from you

You when you enlist as referee are providing a service to the game, not the other way round!!

I have posted this before but few season back i observed a dark blue v light blue/yellow team game, my referee wore yellow and clashed, both sets of players were upset and it was farcical, so, post match discussion revealed the ref indeed had a grey ref top but never wore it because he was being observed and thought it best to wear the new kit!,
My reply was, mate, am here to observe your refereeing ability, not judge you for a cat walk...

Common sense

Last edited:
The occasions mentioned above with Elleray et al (I was also at a game where he had to change his (coloured) shirt) are isolated incidents out of thousands and thousands and thousands of games over many years. Elleray has been retired for nearly 10 years ffs!

Way more than 10 years, retired at the end of 2002/03 season.

Back