A&H

West Ham v Chelsea

Longer version
If you skip to ~35s, the striker very clearly has two attempts to shoot, with the 2nd being the chip that goes in. The bit I still can't see 100% is if the first attempt hits his teammate on the floor (easy offside) or if he just misses the ball? My instinct is still to go with option A and disallow the goal - but without control of the video and the ability to zoom in at that key moment, I can't be totally sure....
I think it is clear it hits antonio.. Certainly. From the behind the goal angle. I don't think it is clear if he is offside at that point. Given azpilacueta has to step over him to attempt to challenge for the 2nd shot.

The Referee Store
Screenshot_20200702_091306_com.facebook.katana.jpg
Posted by ref Support on fbook. If true, then I am not sure I necessarily agree.
The only thing, possibly, is that antonio is potentially shielding the ball from view given the close proximity but its an impossible angle to get to review so safe bet is offside, I suppose.

View attachment 4390
Posted by ref Support on fbook. If true, then I am not sure I necessarily agree.
The only thing, possibly, is that antonio is potentially shielding the ball from view given the close proximity but its an impossible angle to get to review so safe bet is offside, I suppose.
Kepa sees that ball all the way so this is very clearly an incorrect decision from the officials. Annoyingly, it will probably be counted as a correct decision in the final VAR statistics. What was it, 98% accuracy for VAR? 😂

Longer version
If you skip to ~35s, the striker very clearly has two attempts to shoot, with the 2nd being the chip that goes in. The bit I still can't see 100% is if the first attempt hits his teammate on the floor (easy offside) or if he just misses the ball? My instinct is still to go with option A and disallow the goal - but without control of the video and the ability to zoom in at that key moment, I can't be totally sure....
Azpilqueta (or however you spell it) having to step over Antonio is enough for me to agree with the offside decision. He’s not able to play the ball purely because of Antonio’s presence

View attachment 4390
That's full on nonsense there! 2 possible reasons for why this maybe should have been disallowed, neither of them has anything to do with the GK's vision. Touch the ball in an offside position? Fine. Interfered with the defender's block? Fine. Both perfectly valid judgements. Kepa's vision being obstructed? Utter rubbish!

C&O I don't think so. Not what VAR was intended for
On-field decision, Goal
VAR forensics used against the lessor team all too often

Last edited:
Does the ARVAR not call the offsides?
Assuming they're using the world cup system (I have a feeling the PL system is slightly stripped back from that, but can't remember the details), the AVAR would be the one who's job it is to flag up the existence of a possible offside - but it would still be the primary VAR who communicates that to the onfield referee, and he would be communicating a decision that would be made by the two of them in tandem. If Jon Moss looks at a clip and doesn't think it's offside, then the goal wouldn't have been disallowed, regardless of what the AVAR did/didn't see.

Assuming they're using the world cup system (I have a feeling the PL system is slightly stripped back from that, but can't remember the details), the AVAR would be the one who's job it is to flag up the existence of a possible offside - but it would still be the primary VAR who communicates that to the onfield referee, and he would be communicating a decision that would be made by the two of them in tandem. If Jon Moss looks at a clip and doesn't think it's offside, then the goal wouldn't have been disallowed, regardless of what the AVAR did/didn't see.

so the ARVAR can highlight an offside, but, not a non offside!?

Does the ARVAR not call the offsides?
Think only the VAR speaks to the ref. The AVAR can if the primary VAR is completing another check. That's what the protocol says if my memory of yesterday serves me correctly.

so the ARVAR can highlight an offside, but, not a non offside!?
I guess so? There's an AVAR who's main job it is to look out for offside - whether he feels empowered to speak up if he happens to spot a foul/ball out of play/etc... that the other officials have missed probably varies from referee to referee, as it would in different "live" refereeing teams.

Azpilqueta (or however you spell it) having to step over Antonio is enough for me to agree with the offside decision. He’s not able to play the ball purely because of Antonio’s presence
I agree with this.. We fallback to spirit of the game.. It specifically says the lotg cannot cover every scenario, where a scenario isn't covered then the referee makes a decision in the spirit of the game and what football expects.
For me, Antonio is interfering with his opponent. Not exactly the way in which law says, unless you stretch it a little, as I have done above.
Whilst offside law is reasonably specific about what is and isn't offside, this scenario is not coveres.
I am disappointed that they have said that it was impacting line of vision. If they said antonio impacted azpilacueta's ability to play the ba, the footballing world shrugs its shoulders and says, yeh OK, that makes sense..
Now everyone is saying hmmm I am not sure

Think only the VAR speaks to the ref. The AVAR can if the primary VAR is completing another check. That's what the protocol says if my memory of yesterday serves me correctly.

yes I get that only the VAR speaks to the ref, mainly, I wrongly thought the ARVAR though was there to adjudge the offsides, in conjunction with the VAR

yes I get that only the VAR speaks to the ref, mainly, I wrongly thought the ARVAR though was there to adjudge the offsides, in conjunction with the VAR
Nah, he is there to check for ball in or out. 😜
Whilst I can't profess to know what goes on in the truck I think he would give his opinion of what he has seen much in the way that he would if he was on field. 2 refs have 50% of the info, need to share it to arrive a the correct decision.

Back