A&H

Wet Sham v United

The Referee Store
Yes.
But much more inexplicable was the non caution for Noble in the first half when he absolutely wiped out James.
And the caution for Mata was so inconsistent

Nobody could have foreseen some of the dynamics of VAR
This Noble RP/SFP decision is not the best example (because I'm not 100% sure it was SFP), but the referees can't help but modify their decision making, based on the knowledge that they can 'phone a friend'. Only trouble being that this friend can't find the mute button
The net result is that refereeing is detrimentally altered on the FOP

I'm not sure we'll see VAR overturn anything other than offside this season in England. I agree there was enough doubt on Noble's challenge to not get involved, but there have been others where the referee has obviously got it wrong and nothing has been done about it. The most recent being Friday night when Cedric took out Josh King in the penalty area, it was very difficult for Chris Kavanagh to see real time as he was blocked off, but from the replay it was obvious that it should have been a penalty.

Not blaming the officials as they are obviously being told to do it that way, but it really must rankle for them when Mike Riley then comes out and says VAR has got decisions wrong. I was all for the high bar and not using pitch side monitors at first, but it clearly isn't working as it is and something needs to change.

I was all for the high bar and not using pitch side monitors at first
Likewise, very much so. None of us predicted a none existent bar however
The ethos is admirable in some respects, but it hasn't worked
Just introduce a bar, any bar; and the problem goes away
The pitch side monitor would finish me off however :dead:
The offside forensics is not in the spirit of the law, but that might improve if it ever gets automated and sped up

Clubs voted against the introduction of VAR last season, citing they only wanted VAR to judge 'matters of fact'. They were told this was not possible as the VAR protocol must be adopted entirely or not at all. It looks like they've found a workaround to implement what they originally wanted.

I was there today and thought the Ogbonna yellow card in the first 20 mins looked bad. From where I sat the Noble yellow looked strong but fair. Interesting to see the replays.

Back