A&H

What’s your Ref routine?

GCS1982

So referee’s out there, what’s your match routine? Experienced ref’s ,inexperienced ref’s what do you do on a match day, what time do you get there? Do you inspect the strips & players? How long do you take to go through the team sheets? How long do you take to inspect pitch,nets etc,

Do you have a chat with the coaches or teams prior to coming out of the changing rooms? Do you inform the teams what you expect or not what you expect? A lot of these will be basic to you, but that’s what I am after, as after all I am just beginning my career as a referee.

Any information or your experiences will be appreciated

The Referee Store
So referee’s out there, what’s your match routine? Experienced ref’s ,inexperienced ref’s what do you do on a match day, what time do you get there? Do you inspect the strips & players? How long do you take to go through the team sheets? How long do you take to inspect pitch,nets etc,

Do you have a chat with the coaches or teams prior to coming out of the changing rooms? Do you inform the teams what you expect or not what you expect? A lot of these will be basic to you, but that’s what I am after, as after all I am just beginning my career as a referee.

It varies totally depending on the level, league and country. I do games from hobby league with no ARs up to lower league games with betting companies taking stats.

The former: 15mins, stretch, nets, team sheet, count the players, check the ball, remind them to play to the whistle (no official equipment check, flying subs at grassroots).

The later: 60mins, greet coaches, discuss as a three, training gear, check 3 balls and match card, inspect pitch, instructions to coaches, 15min warm up, briefing, match gear, check buzzers, line ups, inpection, walk players to pitch, respect handshake, coin toss, check nets again... (we don’t wear suits until the very top).

Where are you in the world and what level/age games?

For junior football I get at pitch 10 mins before KO give both managers the lino flags tell linos what I expect then I wait in centre circle til both teams get in formation if one is ready and the other is taking the Mick ie it's 5 mins past original KO time then I will blow whistle but I like to be lenient and let teams come when they are ready I then talk to captains do toss KO.

Obviously different for adults football.

Low division Grassroots: Half hour to go, remind the teams to complete team sheets. 15 to go remind them again about the teamsheet. 5 to go tell them I don't have a competed teamsheet. Kick of time, myself and players on the pitch ready to kick off and me telling manager(s) I won't kick off untill I have a completed teamsheet.

Grassroots: 30 mins before, if the weathers been bad then pitch inspection straight away, if not then greet the coaches, get changed, have a brew, collect team sheets and ask managers to tell all players to take off any jewellery as I will stop the game if I see any, stand in the middle of the pitch and blow the whistle 1 min before time.

Make sure that you ask for your fee before you kick off! They're supposed to do that anyway but most don't and there's nothing worse than going asking for your fee after you've sent 3 of their players off or given a pen in the last minute to the other team.

Grassroots: 30 mins before, if the weathers been bad then pitch inspection straight away, if not then greet the coaches, get changed, have a brew, collect team sheets and ask managers to tell all players to take off any jewellery as I will stop the game if I see any, stand in the middle of the pitch and blow the whistle 1 min before time.

Make sure that you ask for your fee before you kick off! They're supposed to do that anyway but most don't and there's nothing worse than going asking for your fee after you've sent 3 of their players off or given a pen in the last minute to the other team.
A lot of leagues pay afterwards. Both mine do
Which is daft imo

Central USA here. Arrive 30 mins before kickoff minimum wearing referee kit absent shirt (we have multiple colors and pick once the whole crew is there). Wear an all black or USSF pregame shirt. No sun glasses or hats. Inspect the field paying particular attention to nets, goal placement and anchoring. Greet the coaches introducing myself briefly. Spend equal time with both coaches (they notice). Stretch and warm up. Do it as a crew if everyone is there. Pick a referee team color and change shirts. Do a referee team pre game. Get rosters and player cards from each team. Check the teams in while checking proper equipment. Get game ball from home team. Check proper inflation. Call captains. Short talk to each and do toss. Walk out together as a referee team. Shake hands. AR's do final net check and head count. Unfurl flags when they are set. Kick off

Depends on your league. Local leagues will state when it is to be paid. Besides, if you ask them and they refuse, just report them. They will be punished and you will get your money...

No sun glasses or hats.
Interesting. Although this is not in the dress code here, sunglasses are very common to arrive in and doing the initial pitch walk with if the games starts when the sun is high. Hats/caps not so much so as the general impression from a social impression is not favourable in a formal context. But they are common with grassroot refs even during a game. It can't be banned because of OH&S (Occupational Health and Safety) . The sun is quite damaging here early and late in the season.

It is not banned per se but frowned upon for those wishing to advance. I cant say that I disagree. Sunglasses even walking in can create a barrier when meeting/greeting coaches. Fosters am us/them perception. It increases the impersonal factor. Hugely frowned upon while refereeing and I would agree. Rarely seen even at grass roots. Hats in very cold temps are ok but hats with visors just for sun are frowned upon. Just not very professional looking. It may vary state to state but professionalism is the focus. A lot can be done/built via eye contact. I didn't write this gospel and it isn't actually written but I cant say I disagree based upon my experience

It's a known fact that sunglasses can alter your depth perception slightly - not to the extent that it's a problem when driving, but if you're trying to distinguish if a ball hit a hand or which boot touched the ball last, I think it might make a difference. Hats on the other hand should be permitted IMO, I've had games on the line where my most sore muscle at the end of the match is in my right arm that I have to hold up as a sun visor for 90 minutes!

Last edited:
My head muscle is hurting trying to figure out which muscle is the right arm muscle :)

For junior football I get at pitch 10 mins before KO give both managers the lino flags tell linos what I expect then I wait in centre circle til both teams get in formation if one is ready and the other is taking the Mick ie it's 5 mins past original KO time then I will blow whistle but I like to be lenient and let teams come when they are ready I then talk to captains do toss KO.

Obviously different for adults football.

Only 10 minutes?

Reactions: JH
I would suggest 30 mins if for no other reason than reassuring the teams that the referee has turned up.

Reactions: JH
I would suggest 30 mins if for no other reason than reassuring the teams that the referee has turned up.

Depending on your travel to the ground,, it's always good to give yourself that extra time in case something happens on route to a game as well. Last thing you want is to be aiming to arrive at a match 10/15 minutes before KO but find yourself stuck at some temporary roadworks etc

On occasion, say am already doing a midday then at short notice you get a call for a 2pm, I might see me saying, ok, I take it but I wont be leaving xx until 1340 so dont expect me there until bang on ko. Bit of forewarning that you will be there asap, short notice for game, horses for courses.

Certainly as routine imo 10 mins is foolish

Back