A&H

What are Supply Leagues

The Referee Store
Keep seeing the term and as 7 can AR if I ever get asked I want to know I’m allowed to take that game thanks.
Supply Leagues in England use Level Four referees assisted by appointed assistants.
Appointments are made by the League's Appointments Officer, and most use Level 5 or 6 assistants if available.
Some players are paid at Supply League.
Ground grading is required before a club moves up to Supply level.
Your County Referee Development Officer can advise the local situation.

It's slightly old-fashioned terminology and as such, translating it isn't 100% accurate. Think in steps where possible, but with the understanding that "Contributory" can be steps 4 or 5 and "Supply" can be 5, 6 and some 7.

Keep seeing the term and as 7 can AR if I ever get asked I want to know I’m allowed to take that game thanks.
Depends where you live. The Spartan League will appoint Level 7 AR2's to Step 5 games if the L7 AR has passed a fitness test
2K in 12 mins and two 50m sprints <7.5s
The onus is therefore on the sprint part of the test

It's slightly old-fashioned terminology and as such, translating it isn't 100% accurate. Think in steps where possible, but with the understanding that "Contributory" can be steps 4 or 5 and "Supply" can be 5, 6 and some 7.

Not any more, or at least from next season as the planned change got postponed from this season for obvious reasons. From next season contrib will be steps 3 and 4 only and supply steps 5, 6, and in very rare cases 7.

Not any more, or at least from next season as the planned change got postponed from this season for obvious reasons. From next season contrib will be steps 3 and 4 only and supply steps 5, 6, and in very rare cases 7.
My mistake, thanks for the correction! I still don't know why people insist on referring to them as supply and contrib, the step system seems much clearer?

From next season? I thought we were into that now? Certainly I am now reffing step 5/6 and level 3 3/4 so I was of the assumption that the new structure was in place.

From next season? I thought we were into that now? Certainly I am now reffing step 5/6 and level 3 3/4 so I was of the assumption that the new structure was in place.

yeah ditto, new structure is in place as far as i'm aware. it was the new league structure that didnt happen and was put back a season (at least). up here there's going to be another step 4 league and we're also an area (yorkshire) where a step 7 league is still supply

Any ideas why we have the terminology of Contrib/Supply?
Surely, all leagues in the National League System are Contrib/Supply, albeit at different levels in the 7-step pyramid

Supply league was step 7/6 previously. Contributory leagues were step 5/3.
The words supply and contributory meant very little to anyone and I think was part of the reason for changing the structure or rather the change in structure presented an opportunity to rename to a more sensible/understandable naming convention

It was once explained to me that in the days before the National League/ Conference the Southern and Northern Football leagues used to “contribute” to a pool of clubs eligible to join the Football League Division 3 North and South. Promotion and relegation was by election, not automatic.

Leagues below these “supplied” the teams to the Contributory Leagues working on similar principles.

While the accuracy of this account is up for debate the essence is probably about right.

It was once explained to me that in the days before the National League/ Conference the Southern and Northern Football leagues used to “contribute” to a pool of clubs eligible to join the Football League Division 3 North and South. Promotion and relegation was by election, not automatic.

Leagues below these “supplied” the teams to the Contributory Leagues working on similar principles.

While the accuracy of this account is up for debate the essence is probably about right.
Would add meaning to the terms, but for new folks after this time the term is derelict and bears no relation to. Anything

Supply league was step 7/6 previously. Contributory leagues were step 5/3.
The words supply and contributory meant very little to anyone and I think was part of the reason for changing the structure or rather the change in structure presented an opportunity to rename to a more sensible/understandable naming convention
But do we retain the terminology of Contrib/Supply in the new world (next season)?
Or is just that 3-5 and 6-7 becomes 3-4 and 5-7 (with quite a bit of shuffling leagues around geographically etc.)?

Sorry, I meant that the refereeing restructure has been done but the reorganisation of leagues to facilitate it is on hold due to Covid.

Back