A&H

What is the reason that only one person at a time is allowed to authorise tactical instructions from the technical area?

newref

Law 1 - Technical area - states that only one person at a time is allowed to authorise tactical instructions from the technical area?
Is there any particular reason for this? Anyone know?

The Referee Store
Just to stop it looking like a bus shelter, similar to how many leagues have rules about only two members of the technical area can be standing.

Someone can correct me, but I think the one person conveying tactical instructions is a relatively new addition to the laws?

Just to stop it looking like a bus shelter, similar to how many leagues have rules about only two members of the technical area can be standing.

Someone can correct me, but I think the one person conveying tactical instructions is a relatively new addition to the laws?
Lol bus shelter. Yeah I would think so, but why or how does this become a concern? Like what's the logic behind this?

One person giving instructions has been in the laws of the game for many years. Originally only one occupant was allowed to stand at any time, but the professional game pushed to allow two standing, which was then approved by IFAB.
They left the "one giving instructions" requirement in the law at that time.
Competitions can now make their own rules re the use of the technical area, but the law remains as one "giving instructions" at any time.
For those who carry out 4th Official duties, one is more than enough!

One person giving instructions has been in the laws of the game for many years. Originally only one occupant was allowed to stand at any time, but the professional game pushed to allow two standing, which was then approved by IFAB.
They left the "one giving instructions" requirement in the law at that time.
Competitions can now make their own rules re the use of the technical area, but the law remains as one "giving instructions" at any time.
For those who carry out 4th Official duties, one is more than enough!

Ah yes, that was it. Although whilst two standing is often enforced, it is nigh on impossible to enforce only one person conveying instructions so that is largely ignored.

Lol bus shelter. Yeah I would think so, but why or how does this become a concern? Like what's the logic behind this?

If everyone is stood they will get in the way and make it difficult for the 4th official to manage the technical areas. If two people are getting close to the edge and too close to the pitch or assistant the 4th can manage that, a lot harder if there are 10+ doing it.

Back