A&H

what to do on bookings

fulham1980

when there is not a ref available to take a game i normally get a call to get the game going , so far i havnt booked anyone as i am not sure what to do as im not a registered ref as off yet , so if i was to book a player , how would this conclued at the end of the game , how does it get reported , or is it a case of if a player is booked or sent off or sin bin , its just forgotton after the game ,

The Referee Store
Once you start a game as a referee (qualified or not, officially appointed or not), you have all the powers and duties of a referee as explained within the laws of the game. Reporting misconducts is one of those duties.

The competition/league rules should explain how you report as a non-qualified (teams appointed) referee. Makes sure you know this before you accept the game. If you are not sure ask the the competition/league secretary. If you don't know who that is ask the person who asked you to do the game. If players find out you don't report them then its open season on all sorts of misconduct.

@fulham1980 - contact the referees dept of the CFA tomorrow. Normally cautions are entered via a website, but won't have access to this.
Speak with them, explain the situation and they will assist you with what needs doing.
Sorry @one - but anybody else will simply give them this advice. There is no point doing anything else.

Why sorry? If that is how it works over there then that's how it works. It must be very rare that unqualified referees referee games otherwise I assume there would be an easy published process for them to report sanctions rather than calling someone in CFA to go through an informal process.

Why sorry? If that is how it works over there then that's how it works. It must be very rare that unqualified referees referee games otherwise I assume there would be an easy published process for them to report sanctions rather than calling someone in CFA to go through an informal process.
Its not that rare unfortunately. Theres a big shortage of refs in some areas. I was in the middle of 3 pitches last Sunday. The game on one side of me was being reffed by a chap in jeans and a jumper and im assuming he wasn't a qualified ref as he stayed on the centre spot. Other gane was being reffed by what looked like a substitute for one of the teams. Looked to be a different substitute refereeing the 2nd half too.

Becoming an all too regular occurrence to see

Last edited:
Referees who are not qualified, very rarely report misconduct of any kind. Almost all of them would not know how to do so

If that is how it works over there then that's how it works. It must be very rare that unqualified referees referee games otherwise I assume there would be an easy published process for them

You'd think, wouldn't you?

There are a lot of games in my league that don't get an officially appointed referee. They definitely don't all contact the ref 'department' at the CFA, which consists of one person who does another job as well. He'd do nothing but deal with disciplinary issues all week if they did.

I dare say lincs22 is quite correct that this is what should happen but it definitely isn't what actually happens.

Yeah the simple fact is that there’s not enough refs to go round. Every week in my area there’s teams asking if they know anyone who can ref as the league hasn’t appointed one.

Ironically it’s some of the worst teams in terms of giving referees trouble that are the ones to complain the most loudly when there aren’t enough refs to go round

Ironically it’s some of the worst teams in terms of giving referees trouble that are the ones to complain the most loudly when there aren’t enough refs to go round

I have often thought that the system whereby the 'top' teams get referees and the 'bottom' teams do not could be improved by appointingr referees first to the matches with the highest 'sportsmanship' rating. The rating would be the higher rating of the two teams, as compiled from previous referee reports.

So if you're well behaved you always get a ref. If you're badly behaved but the other team are well behaved you get a ref. If two badly behaved teams play each other ... find your own ref.

I have often thought that the system whereby the 'top' teams get referees and the 'bottom' teams do not could be improved by appointingr referees first to the matches with the highest 'sportsmanship' rating. The rating would be the higher rating of the two teams, as compiled from previous referee reports.

So if you're well behaved you always get a ref. If you're badly behaved but the other team are well behaved you get a ref. If two badly behaved teams play each other ... find your own ref.

Part of the problem with that is that the worst teams actually need the strong referees to try to control them and help weed out the trouble makers, which happens thorough discipline and bans when cards get reported.

One of my Sunday leagues had a team who were an absolute nightmare. The manager was the main culprit and surrounded himself with a gang of absolute thugs. The league could only give them to four or five of us, so we all had them 5 or 6 times a season. I sent off 6 of them last season - the last time I had them I cautioned 5 but did not send any (although unfortunately I missed a violent conduct by the captain - that would have been his third red of the season by me and fourth overall) so they were sort of learning!
The team folded at the end of the season and the manager has been banned from running a team again. That’s meant the players are now spread around the league so they’re not as much trouble, and the other teams kept going because they knew we wouldn’t let them be kicked off the pitch.

One of my Sunday leagues had a team who were an absolute nightmare. The manager was the main culprit and surrounded himself with a gang of absolute thugs. The league could only give them to four or five of us, so we all had them 5 or 6 times a season. I sent off 6 of them last season - the last time I had them I cautioned 5 but did not send any (although unfortunately I missed a violent conduct by the captain - that would have been his third red of the season by me and fourth overall) so they were sort of learning!
The team folded at the end of the season and the manager has been banned from running a team again. That’s meant the players are now spread around the league so they’re not as much trouble, and the other teams kept going because they knew we wouldn’t let them be kicked off the pitch.

And this is the exact reason that I am always harder on managers than players. If you have a complete idiot of a manager on the side lines winding up his players you are on a hiding to nothing. I can't think of any occasion where I've removed a manager that the player behaviour hasn't significantly improved afterwards.

In one game, ironically a friendly between a step 5 and step 7 team, the away manager was on my case for the entire first half despite warnings. He then came marching over at half time to have a complete rant, I asked him to calm down and when he didn't I told him not to come back out for the second half. Obviously he told me I can't do that, so I made it very clear if he went into the technical area in the second half I would abandon the game. Come to start the second half and the away captain tells me that I can't start as their manager isn't out yet, so I say that he won't be as I've sent him off. The response - "thank f*** for that", and they were a piece of cake in the second half :)

The response - "thank f*** for that", and they were a piece of cake in the second half :)

Here in the US, school soccer has its own rules rather than using the LOTG. (Though they track pretty closely--but I believe the primary source of revenue for the national school sports organization is the sale of rule books, so of course they need their own for every sport.) Rather than requiring referees to check equipment, the rules require coaches to certify to the referee that all the players were wearing proper equipment. And if a player is caught with improper equipment, the coach is gets cautioned. Some teams fed up with their coaches would have a player go onto the field without shin guards (yellow for coach), and then another wearing a necklace (red for coach).

They changed the rules so the coach can only get one caution for it, and after that it goes to the player with improper equipment.

"
And this is the exact reason that I am always harder on managers than players. If you have a complete idiot of a manager on the side lines winding up his players you are on a hiding to nothing. I can't think of any occasion where I've removed a manager that the player behaviour hasn't significantly improved afterwards.

In one game, ironically a friendly between a step 5 and step 7 team, the away manager was on my case for the entire first half despite warnings. He then came marching over at half time to have a complete rant, I asked him to calm down and when he didn't I told him not to come back out for the second half. Obviously he told me I can't do that, so I made it very clear if he went into the technical area in the second half I would abandon the game. Come to start the second half and the away captain tells me that I can't start as their manager isn't out yet, so I say that he won't be as I've sent him off. The response - "thank f*** for that", and they were a piece of cake in the second half :)
The first time I had the team last season as I walked out to start the manager was on the sidelines screaming abuse at his players by way of a team talk. For example, if player x gets the ball “f***ing smash him!” screamed at high volume so everyone could hear. I knew how the game was going to go. I played no advantage and gave all the little fouls until I was sure they knew what was going on. We’d played 35 minutes when player x got the ball and an opponent slid in on him. He jumped out of the way and there wasn’t really any danger, so I just gave dangerous play and left it at that. The captain went ballistic, but apparently he’s allowed to “talk” to me like that because he’s the captain! He was sin-binned first, then sent off when he started swearing at me. Then before he left the pitch he threatened me. (A year later we’re still waiting for the commission- he accepted the red but denied the threat. The other team are managed by a CFA official and several league officials were on the sidelines. They all gave statements, so he’s never available) I sent a second player off, then two others went in the sin bin. At this the manager threatened to pull his team if I cautioned another player. To be fair he was as good as his word because after the next reckless challenge yellow they walked off. He did pay me though!
They got crucified by the CFA.
The next time I again had two off, plus five misconduct reports. One for a dismissed player running back on to commit dogso.
The captain is actually on a suspended sine die suspension, which is why he is never available for the commission. He spat at a colleague but got off on a technicality so the suspension was held over.
The manager verbally abused a colleague in front of her children at a petrol station after she made a mistake on the line against his team - She flagged offside, forgetting it was a goal kick. The referee over ruled so the play continued but the manager thought the abuse was ok anyway.
He also threatened me, saying he’d do me when he saw me out. A week later my daughter pointed him out, hiding from me behind a pallet in a diy store!
Now the team have folded the players are no longer an issue. If we send them off they just go, but this is so much less frequent now.
Even the captain is better behaved without the manager winding him up!

"

The first time I had the team last season as I walked out to start the manager was on the sidelines screaming abuse at his players by way of a team talk. For example, if player x gets the ball “f***ing smash him!” screamed at high volume so everyone could hear. I knew how the game was going to go. I played no advantage and gave all the little fouls until I was sure they knew what was going on. We’d played 35 minutes when player x got the ball and an opponent slid in on him. He jumped out of the way and there wasn’t really any danger, so I just gave dangerous play and left it at that. The captain went ballistic, but apparently he’s allowed to “talk” to me like that because he’s the captain! He was sin-binned first, then sent off when he started swearing at me. Then before he left the pitch he threatened me. (A year later we’re still waiting for the commission- he accepted the red but denied the threat. The other team are managed by a CFA official and several league officials were on the sidelines. They all gave statements, so he’s never available) I sent a second player off, then two others went in the sin bin. At this the manager threatened to pull his team if I cautioned another player. To be fair he was as good as his word because after the next reckless challenge yellow they walked off. He did pay me though!
They got crucified by the CFA.
The next time I again had two off, plus five misconduct reports. One for a dismissed player running back on to commit dogso.
The captain is actually on a suspended sine die suspension, which is why he is never available for the commission. He spat at a colleague but got off on a technicality so the suspension was held over.
The manager verbally abused a colleague in front of her children at a petrol station after she made a mistake on the line against his team - She flagged offside, forgetting it was a goal kick. The referee over ruled so the play continued but the manager thought the abuse was ok anyway.
He also threatened me, saying he’d do me when he saw me out. A week later my daughter pointed him out, hiding from me behind a pallet in a diy store!
Now the team have folded the players are no longer an issue. If we send them off they just go, but this is so much less frequent now.
Even the captain is better behaved without the manager winding him up!

Truly shocking. :wide:

And we wonder why so many referees (both young and old) simply say "Sod this!!". :meh:

The team actually applied to join my other Sunday league a couple of years ago because “the league committee are out to get us!” I was asked what they were like and when I explained the team were politely told to get stuffed.

They were also reported for suggesting local CFA officials and league officials were all pedophiles on social media. Most of this was down to the manager. Having said that, his wife knows more swear words than he does! At least, she uses more of them!

The team actually applied to join my other Sunday league a couple of years ago because “the league committee are out to get us!” I was asked what they were like and when I explained the team were politely told to get stuffed.

They were also reported for suggesting local CFA officials and league officials were all pedophiles on social media. Most of this was down to the manager. Having said that, his wife knows more swear words than he does! At least, she uses more of them!
Are all footy matches north of the border, like a scene outa Trainspotting!? 🤣

Back