A&H

What would you do?

Sheffields Finest

Maybe I'm foolish, maybe I'm blind!
Level 7 Referee
I was thinking about the strange Lee Trundle penalty the other week and how it perplexed ourselves and the lawmakers who probably never envisaged such an event taking place. So i was thinking of other circumvents that may be 'legal' in a penalty situation. The best one that comes to mind is a player going to strike a ball and initially going over the top with his foot (missing the ball) but continuing his forward movement of his foot (seeing the keeper commit to a dive either side) and doing a full 360 rotation with his foot and putting the ball in the opposite corner with the follow through without stopping. Technically its the same one movement, he hasn't stopped or feined, (he's struck it when he was ready) and I'm struggling to see how it could be cancelled out as the law is written.

Until strange things happen we have no reference but is this technically allowable? Cue, Law Nerd attack!!

The Referee Store
Far too much time on your hands if you can think up this rubbish, get back on the road drumming up business or spend some more of that hard earned brass on the little ladies next project.........h

As far as I can see, once the player's foot goes over the ball there's no way he can do "a full 360 rotation" without having stopped his forward movement - and even if you somehow think he could, for me it's still a clear contravention of the intent of the law, which at least as I understand it, is to prevent the situation where a player, after having completed his run up to the ball, does something to make the keeper dive completely in one direction or the other, then rolls the ball into the now-unguarded net.

red card for the kick taker and restart with an IDFK to the opposition for making me use my brain!!!! lol

Going to refer back to Mr Ellarys response to my.query on that 1.

It is upto the referee on the day to decide whether it is illegal feinting or the player acted against the spirit of the game.

Or something along those lines.

Not sure how it's unsporting, he's effectively kicked a ball a bit slower than he should have done, players use such tricks all over the pitch and they are mostly legal.

Back