A&H

When your watching a game with a friend do you get annoyed when they have a go at the ref?

CallumS

Mr Referee
Level 7 Referee
We've all done it. A decision doesn't go our teams way and we leap up at the TV like a caged animal shouting at the referee on the off chance his headsets connected to our living room.
Anyway, since I've started refereeing it really irritates me when someone complains at the referee and 9 times out of 10 I find myself defending the referee (the 1 out of 10 times is reserved for Chelsea - Willian was tripped by an out swung lace ;)).
Anyone else get a new found respect for the ref now they've done it? Or get into arguments with friends in favour of the ref?

The Referee Store
I definitely find myself defending referees decisions, just by purely having to explain the laws of the game to my clueless mates when they scream at him on the TV for giving what was a correct decision.

I've done it in weekend games, there was a well known ref in my local leagues before I moved to Germany who was renowned for giving odd decisions. So I made an effort to watch him as he worked with me, whilst he did drop some proper changers from time to time he was right the rest of the time, I recall trying telling a manager of one side that winning the ball was not justification for breaking a lads leg after he sent someone off for serious foul play.

If it's a TV game then yes, I get annoyed when people think the ref's made the wrong decision and back it up.

If it's at Stevenage, no chance, I'll be going with the viewpoint of any other horrendously biased football fan...

If it's a TV game then yes, I get annoyed when people think the ref's made the wrong decision and back it up.

If it's at Stevenage, no chance, I'll be going with the viewpoint of any other horrendously biased football fan...

Do you live in Stevenage mikey?

i try to educate them because most of the time its ignorence of the laws, doesnt stop me shouting at the telly when ex players who should know the laws clearly dont

I will always defend a correct refereeing decision, much to their annoyance (unless it's Southend!)

Back