A&H

Where do you draw the line between dissent and OFFINABUS?

RobOda

RefChat Addict
Level 3 Referee
Heya,

Bit of a simple question really, where do you draw the line between dissent and OFFINABUS?

I've been a bit card-happy recently to tackle a weakness in my game, which is dealing with clear and obvious dissent. The other day I gave a corner to what looked like a reasonable challenge, but the player was adamant he had been fouled and deserved a penalty. I said no, and he was effing and blinding, 'effing referee, what do I have to effing do' that sort of thing.

I booked him for dissent, but was just wondering what everyone's thoughts are on the matter. How far is too far? Personally I don't find someone effing and blinding to be offensive, but there's a fine line between getting colourful with the language and being abusive.

Any advice on this one? Is it just one of those that varies by referee? I understand there's certain issues that are straight reds, no questions asked: racism, sexism etc. But yeah...

Cheers for any advice.

The Referee Store
I’d probably even avoid a card after that comment. I’ve had a few games where ive heard things like that which are normally down to frustration where I’ve taken them to one side and said to them ‘look, I understand how frustrating football can be but whether or not you agree with me, don’t lose your head’.

I’d probably even avoid a card after that comment. I’ve had a few games where ive heard things like that which are normally down to frustration where I’ve taken them to one side and said to them ‘look, I understand how frustrating football can be but whether or not you agree with me, don’t lose your head’.

Just because they are frustrated, doesn't mean that they can't be carded for dissent........

Just because they are frustrated, doesn't mean that they can't be carded for dissent........
i agree but specifically a comment like that, I’d take it as frustrated ramblings of an idiot rather than dissent.

Back