A&H

Whistle with a wrist lanyard

Status
Not open for further replies.

spuddy1878

RefChat Addict
Where is best place to visit, tried ebay and ordered two whistles but both have turned up with neck lanyards which are riduclous.

The Referee Store
Where is best place to visit, tried ebay and ordered two whistles but both have turned up with neck lanyards which are riduclous.

I’m going to suggest something I picked up a ref discussion board some years back—and I thought it was nuts till I tried it. Try clipping two whistles together and holding them instead of using a lanyard. As I said, I tried it because a bunch of folks were talking about it on another board, and then I noticed a couple of the big guns doing it, so I tried it, fully expecting to do it once or twice and go back to the wrist lanyard. But I never went back. I like being able to change hands if I want, and I like being able to let go of the whistle and leave it in my mouth. After a few games it’s as natural as holding a flag as an AR.

A&H do them for £2.50.

I used wrist lanyards until I got a Sonik Blast with finger grip, which I thought was a lot better. Then I sold some vital organs and bought a Molten Valkeen and the rest is history..

I’m going to suggest something I picked up a ref discussion board some years back—and I thought it was nuts till I tried it. Try clipping two whistles together and holding them instead of using a lanyard. As I said, I tried it because a bunch of folks were talking about it on another board, and then I noticed a couple of the big guns doing it, so I tried it, fully expecting to do it once or twice and go back to the wrist lanyard. But I never went back. I like being able to change hands if I want, and I like being able to let go of the whistle and leave it in my mouth. After a few games it’s as natural as holding a flag as an AR.
What do you do when issuing a caution? Pocket? I like that I can just let go of the whistle and it will hang off my wrist.

A&H do them for £2.50.

I used wrist lanyards until I got a Sonik Blast with finger grip, which I thought was a lot better. Then I sold some vital organs and bought a Molten Valkeen and the rest is history..

I love my Valkeen with its finger grip. Couldn't go back to a wrist lanyard now.

I found a cheap knock-off of the Valkeen that came with the finger grip and sounds about the same, but only set me back about £10-£12 :p
Wish?

been tempted to buy one from there for that price but couldn’t see any reviews of the quality

Just wrapping it round your wrist 2 or 3 times might work. That’s what I do and it does the job.
What do you do when issuing a caution? Pocket? I like that I can just let go of the whistle and it will hang off my wrist.
Agreed - I tried it one time but didn’t like it so so keep them on the lanyard.
However I occasionally referee my younger brothers 9-a-side games and just use the two clipped together as it’s all unofficial (usually it’d be a coach refereeing) and cautions etc are never used. It works for those games but any games where I need to keep track of goals, cautions etc they’re on the lanyard.

Last edited:
I like being able to let go of the whistle and leave it in my mouth.
I did this for about half a season. I had the bald head. I had the death stare. I thought I was Collina.

I got fed up of the "You were going to blow then referee" because the whistle was already in my mouth. Be wary of this technique.

I did this for about half a season. I had the bald head. I had the death stare. I thought I was Collina.

I got fed up of the "You were going to blow then referee" because the whistle was already in my mouth. Be wary of this technique.
Very true. I had an mentor/adviser person watch me in one of my first games and he picked up on that with me as well. It wouldn’t have caused issues at the age I was doing in that game (u12) however it’s something that you don’t want to pick up a habit of doing.

I imagine you mean for the writing part? I slip a finger on my left hand through the ring connecting the whistles.

More of a tool for continuing to blow while breaking up a potential problem or if wanting to use both hands (such as signLling to a player wanting to come in to wait while signaling the restart or some such. I rarely do it, but it’s handy from time to time,

Finger-Grips are the best

While I understand why many like them, I can’t stand having fingers clamped together like that. To each his own.

that is the method widely used here in scotland

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back