A&H

WHU v Man Utd

bloovee

RefChat Addict
How on earth did the AR miss the ball so far out of play? Why did it go to VAR (and doesn't VAR have the tech the BBC used)?

The Referee Store
How on earth did the AR miss the ball so far out of play? Why did it go to VAR (and doesn't VAR have the tech the BBC used)?

Haven't seen the play, but the only time VAR can review out of play is if it occurred in the attacking phase of play that led to a goal or a PK

On the AR 'argument' - how many times have we seen this type of incident, let alone one that leads to a goal?

When the GK kicked the ball it was nowhere near the touchline, so at this level what is going to happen 99.9% of the time

a) The ball is going to go towards front running forwards, requiring an offside decision? or
b) The ball is going to curve out of play before returning, leading to a goal?

As an AR its about the % call, if players are challenging for the ball to your left, near the touchline for example - its impossible to concentrate 100% on possible foul challenges, ball in/out of play and possible offside. The LOTG tells us that the AR's priority is to monitor offside.

He's moved with the offside line and his vision was there. There is an argument to say he only needs to be looking as the ball is played then he probably would have liked to have a check in ball in/out.

VAR doesn't have that tech because it's not tested nor approved for use. It's probably reasonably accurate but its basically done on guesswork.

He's moved with the offside line and his vision was there. There is an argument to say he only needs to be looking as the ball is played then he probably would have liked to have a check in ball in/out.

VAR doesn't have that tech because it's not tested nor approved for use. It's probably reasonably accurate but its basically done on guesswork.

I agree James, but as I said, at this level, from where the GK kicked it from, you wouldn't be expecting it to go anywhere near the touchline.

At my level, I wouldn't expect it to go anywhere a team mate! :p

I think Simon Long has seen the kick and because of how far in field Henderson was thought there was no chance of it going out of play. He would also have been cognisant of just how quick Man Utd's forwards are and that if he had stood still to watch the ball's flight he would have been miles behind play.

Its a mistake, but one that I can understand. VAR had no chance of doing anything about it. Yes, they were probably sure it had gone out but they had no way of validating that.

I think Simon Long has seen the kick and because of how far in field Henderson was thought there was no chance of it going out of play. He would also have been cognisant of just how quick Man Utd's forwards are and that if he had stood still to watch the ball's flight he would have been miles behind play.

Its a mistake, but one that I can understand. VAR had no chance of doing anything about it. Yes, they were probably sure it had gone out but they had no way of validating that.
I can understand that, although in 30 years of running the line - I started late! - I can't recall ever missing a call like that, and even if he missed an offside VAR wouldn't. It's already been said that ARs with VAR are just glorified touch judges.

I can understand that, although in 30 years of running the line - I started late! - I can't recall ever missing a call like that, and even if he missed an offside VAR wouldn't. It's already been said that ARs with VAR are just glorified touch judges.
Not quite. It's only checked if it's a goal.. What if it went for a corner and a goal was scored as a result? AR still plays an important role as he has to a) still make. A decision and b) be accurate with offside/non offsides when goals aren't scored

Reactions: one

How do you know you never missed a call like that. Presumably you don't have VAR on your games?

Back