A&H

Width of field markings

MKAhmad

Level 6 Referee
So I am teaching my sister laws of the game for her refereeing course and we were covering field marking when she asked if there was a minimum width. I know maximum is 5 inches but I couldn't seem to find anything about the minimum. I presume there is one. Anyone have any ideas?

The Referee Store
LOTG don't state a minimum width as it depends on the width of the goalposts.

LOTG 2017/18 Pg. 34: All lines must be of the same width, which must not be more than 12cm (5 ins). The goal lines must be of the same width as the goalposts and the crossbar.

There isn't one. The only reference is that goalposts and crossbar must be same width, no greater than 12cm (5 ins)

Again, no minimum,

The goalposts and the crossbar must be white and have the same width and
depth, which must not exceed 12 cm (5 ins).

The one caveat here is that they must be safe.

Again, no minimum,

The goalposts and the crossbar must be white and have the same width and
depth, which must not exceed 12 cm (5 ins).

The one caveat here is that they must be safe.
On a side note, this is an ambiguous statement in the LOTG (among many others).

"The goalposts and the crossbar must be white and have the same width and depth" does not mean their width must be equal to their depth. It means all goalposts and the crossbars must have the same width. Same goes for the depth. But the width is not necessarily equal to depth.

On a side note, this is an ambiguous statement in the LOTG (among many others).

"The goalposts and the crossbar must be white and have the same width and depth" does not mean their width must be equal to their depth. It means all goalposts and the crossbars must have the same width. Same goes for the depth. But the width is not necessarily equal to depth.
Hmm yes but all field markings must be the same width and the goal posts should be the the same width of the field markings so whilst it may not read perfectly like that for them to be legal they should be, no?

Hmm yes but all field markings must be the same width and the goal posts should be the the same width of the field markings so whilst it may not read perfectly like that for them to be legal they should be, no?
If you mean to be legal they should be... width=depth, I am certain no. Law specifically says they can be square, rectangular, round or elliptical in shape and has diagrams to that effect.

Also the exact wording in relation to goal line is "The goal lines must be of the same width as the goalposts and the crossbar." To be technically correct it should have been "... goalposts and the crossbar's depth." (as per diagram) Really all trivial points. Other ambiguities in law are a lot more important than this.

1513164883784.png

Last edited:
Back