A&H

Wolves vs Leicester

santa sangria

RefChat Addict
Mike Dean on fire. Choudhury with an unlucky second yellow. First time I've noticed but MD keeps a YC and RC together in his shirt right pocket for such occasions. Glorious.

And overall, plenty of smart decisions in the second half.

Last edited:
The Referee Store
I keep saying it, he is getting better and better the older he gets. He gets very little wrong, and for me has been the best English referee consistently for at least three seasons now.

We have consistently sent "less good" refs to international tourneys!
MD was better than Howard Webb for all but HW's best 2/3 seasons.
It's clear he rubs up someone important up the wrong way

Been reading comments on Twitter (dangerous, I know!) about that offside. The amount of people saying it’s not offside because the ball went backwards :wall::wall:

Been reading comments on Twitter (dangerous, I know!) about that offside. The amount of people saying it’s not offside because the ball went backwards :wall::wall:
Whilst the fact that he ball went backwards is neither here nor there, it appeared that the player given offside received the ball directly from a corner kick so should not have been given offside IMHO.

Whilst the fact that he ball went backwards is neither here nor there, it appeared that the player given offside received the ball directly from a corner kick so should not have been given offside IMHO.

No he didn't. He took the corner to a team mate, then ran back to receive the return pass but didn't quite get back onside. So it wasn't the corner but rather the first pass after the corner.

No he didn't. He took the corner to a team mate, then ran back to receive the return pass but didn't quite get back onside. So it wasn't the corner but rather the first pass after the corner.
I didn't see the game on TV but from the BT Sport video today the offside line from Stockley Park appears to show the player who received the ball from the corner was offside, not the player taking the corner. The video does not show where the free kick was taken from, which would help our understanding of the incident

How can anyone conclusively say this is the exact moment the ball touched the attackers foot for the pass from this freeze frame?

Screenshot_20200216-005240~2.jpg

In light of the VAR discussion in the other thread and margin of error, let's see what the margin of error is here. Say the receiver is running back at 20km/hr which is not hugely fast and the freeze frame is off by one frame, 1/30 of a second that is. That means the receiver is running at 5.6m per second or 18.5cm in 1/30 of a second. 18cm is about the distance he is called offside by. Is he offside? Likely. Is he clearly offside? In that image yes, but in reality, not for me given the evidence I am presented.

Last edited:
I didn't see the game on TV but from the BT Sport video today the offside line from Stockley Park appears to show the player who received the ball from the corner was offside, not the player taking the corner. The video does not show where the free kick was taken from, which would help our understanding of the incident

See it here after 45 seconds. It clearly isn't from the corner, it is the next pass.

https://www.skysports.com/football/wolves-vs-leicester/408240

That doesn't look right. The player on the very far side (receiving the return pass) is not offside. The lines don't match up with that player on the far side

<Edit, I couldn't see the player's foot> 🤭

I don't really understand the confusion. You can see it in the still image posted above. The right foot (the red boot) of the corner taker Neto is on the red line which is ahead of both the ball and the second last defender. It's definitely the right decision with how they are operating VAR currently.

I don't really understand the confusion. You can see it in the still image posted above. The right foot (the red boot) of the corner taker Neto is on the red line which is ahead of both the ball and the second last defender. It's definitely the right decision with how they are operating VAR currently.

Indeed. The player on the far side on the still is Neto who took the corner and the still is taken from the time the ball is passed back to him. Almost impossible to tell real time, but there have been much closer offside decisions given as offside than this one.

How can anyone conclusively say this is the exact moment the ball touched the attackers foot for the pass from this freeze frame?

While the precision is a real issue, the VAR wouldn’t be using this image to determine when the ball was kicked. The VAR is looking at synced feeds and would use the feed with the clearest view of the first frame with ball-foot contact, and then look at this as the corresponding frame of this feed for the OS line drawing fiasco, er, exercise.

Let's be honest, if the A/R flagged that and it came up in the studio they'd be taking the piss out of him for being such an eagle eye.

I know it is strictly offside, but I do think that with these margins it really should just be a situation where we, in the words of our resident elderly patron, 'play on!"

Back