A&H

World Cup - so far

PinnerPaul

RefChat Addict
Away from specific decisions and VAR, what are your impressions of the officiating so far?

For me on the positive side, seems a consistency to the decision making, both in a single match and across the toiurnament as a whole.

Specifics I am not so keen on

1) The lengthy 'chats' at corners by referees - far too long and not necsssary in most cases I have seen
2) Lack of adavantage played/signal - most seem to ignore fouls - or that's how it looks without the signal
3) Apparent lack of involvement from ARs. Well aware that they could/should be communicating but seen quite a few fouls right on front of AR, who doesn't signal until after ref has blown!

Hate the late offside flag - but that's down to VAR, so lets not go there!

Your thoughts on the general standard of refereeing so far?

Thanks

The Referee Store
The late offside flag is very messy. There's been passes upfield which are clearly offside and there's been a good 10-20 seconds before the attacker ends and the flag goes up. It's just frustrating more than anything.

Overall though, the officiating has been good but if I'm honest, there's not been any huge talking points in terms of SFP, VC etc. It's all been around handballs. There's simply not a lot for the referees to do in the womens game as a comparison to the mens for whatever reason. The incidents just don't happen

1 is just ticking a box surely, not just at the world cup but I noticed it in the champions league, long unnecessary chats when nothing is even going on, then they can say they have been preventative...

I think 2 is self-preservation, soft fouls that you would give if they lost the ball but you play on because they have it, not signalling in case the advantage doesn't ensue and you have to bring it back

The one-armed advantage signal is a lot less obvious. I suspect there advantage signals being made that many are not noticing.

The 'have a word' at CK's for no good reason is annoying at best. The R's have to be seen to speak to players regardless of whether there's any need. FIFA have continued with this instruction to R's despite it irritating the life out of us all in the Mens World Cup

The 'have a word' at CK's for no good reason is annoying at best. The R's have to be seen to speak to players regardless of whether there's any need. FIFA have continued with this instruction to R's despite it irritating the life out of us all in the Mens World Cup
At least they followed it up with plenty of PK’s at the WC but the chat seems unnecessary. They all know the rules

I doubt they have been told to do it per se, rather they will have been given performance competencies, or whatever the equivalent is that FIFA call them, and doing that ticks one of those PCs. Not a lot different to intermediate levels in England where referees need to be seen to be doing something to get credit in that PC.

I doubt they have been told to do it per se, rather they will have been given performance competencies, or whatever the equivalent is that FIFA call them, and doing that ticks one of those PCs. Not a lot different to intermediate levels in England where referees need to be seen to be doing something to get credit in that PC.
Yes, I make you right. Perhaps a better idea would be to mark them down for acting where no action is necessary and for being conspicuous

I flagged ;) the delayed flag issue in another thread. The response was the AR's are new to it and still learning it. At this level you would expect them to be fast learners and learn it in training. From what I have seen so far, I'd say they are taught it differently to what the protocol says. They are using it for any offside and any promising attack rather than an immidiate goal scoring opportunity in the penalty area and real doubtful offside. For something that the 67 page protocol uses 3 lines to describe, it's having a hell lot of an impact on the game.

Last edited:
Hi
Watched Germany v RSA and the amount of delayed flags on the most obvious of offside was ridiculous . I get delaying the flag on a tight one where there is doubt but ARs are now not bothering to flag until they get a call n the ear piece OFFSIDE. Some where 3/4 yards and blatantly obvious. argh
Even the RSA captain spoke to the referee about it as she had to keep running even though she *knew* it was going to be called offside.

Hi
Watched Germany v RSA and the amount of delayed flags on the most obvious of offside was ridiculous . I get delaying the flag on a tight one where there is doubt but ARs are now not bothering to flag until they get a call n the ear piece OFFSIDE. Some where 3/4 yards and blatantly obvious. argh
Even the RSA captain spoke to the referee about it as she had to keep running even though she *knew* it was going to be called offside.
They're not getting a call in the ear.

They're following the instruction that they've been given, but taking it a bit too extremes.

The same kinda thing happened with the VAR newbie ARs in the men's World Cup last summer. As the group stages start to wrap up, we're starting to see this done only on the close stuff and no longer on the obvious stuff... and the ARs that are getting it right are the ones that will continue on in the tournament.

They're not getting a call in the ear.

They're following the instruction that they've been given, but taking it a bit too extremes.

The same kinda thing happened with the VAR newbie ARs in the men's World Cup last summer. As the group stages start to wrap up, we're starting to see this done only on the close stuff and no longer on the obvious stuff... and the ARs that are getting it right are the ones that will continue on in the tournament.

Overcoming years of training and instinct for the first time in the world cup is tough--the overwhelming number of ARs are working with a VAR for the first time. Keep in mind FIFA originally wasn't going to use VARs for the WWC, but put them in because the women players thought it was unfair that the men got them and they didn't. (Careful what you wish for . . . ) Overcompensating is hardly surprising at all, even for these elite ARs.

Back