A&H

World Cup VAR

If the assistant delays flag due to a goal scoring opportunity. Shot comes in, goalkeeper saves it and goes for a corner, will the flag go up or not?

What's the maximum delay between an offside offence and the flag going up?

Part 1) Assuming that the player in an offside position committed an offside offense then yes the flag would go up after the GK saves the shot.

Part 2) There's nothing concrete. It should almost never been more than two or three seconds. In many ways it's like playing advantage and then bringing it back.

The Referee Store
If it's applied like that, then it's an acceptable fudge. Will wait and see. Hawkeye guy said at RA conference the 2D system can be a half-a-yard out for offsides due to it's inability to properly consider upper body position properly. Hopefully they'll use the accurate faux 3D system.

Part 1) Assuming that the player in an offside position committed an offside offense then yes the flag would go up after the GK saves the shot.

Part 2) There's nothing concrete. It should almost never been more than two or three seconds. In many ways it's like playing advantage and then bringing it back.
Part 2) a better analogy is the wait and see technique when a ball is put through towards a PIOP.

The delayed flag for a GSO is another wait and see when using VAR. If you think of it that way I don't see how you can't see how it works and the benefits of it. The AR still makes a decision and flags accordingly but with a bit of extra wait. That's the way it is supposed to work, but as most of you who have worked with new ARs know, they don't always get the standard wait and see right. I suspect it will be the same for the new wait and see for ARs new to VAR.

Part 2) a better analogy is the wait and see technique when a ball is put through towards a PIOP.

The delayed flag for a GSO is another wait and see when using VAR. If you think of it that way I don't see how you can't see how it works and the benefits of it. The AR still makes a decision and flags accordingly but with a bit of extra wait. That's the way it is supposed to work, but as most of you who have worked with new ARs know, they don't always get the standard wait and see right. I suspect it will be the same for the new wait and see for ARs new to VAR.

I agree with all about lets wait and see. However, in a pre emptive strike, I'm not having the 'system' works, but the people don't!

With 13 people on this, if it doesn't work, it doesn't work - lets not have any of this 'Oh, it would have been good, if only official x had done this, or AVAR number 3 had done that'

I read yesterday the guys in van will be in full ref strip!

Which of course means if John Terry appears as a pundit we can expect him in fulll Engerland gear too, esp if they win it

I agree with all about lets wait and see. However, in a pre emptive strike, I'm not having the 'system' works, but the people don't!

With 13 people on this, if it doesn't work, it doesn't work - lets not have any of this 'Oh, it would have been good, if only official x had done this, or AVAR number 3 had done that'
For me it's very simple, the 'system' has three parts:

- the protocol (rules or processes)
- the technology (tools)
- the officials (operators)

Any of the three fails then the system has failed. No system is fail proof. Then the question is, are we better off with the system in place? Hopefully the world cup would answer that once and for all.

I read yesterday the guys in van will be in full ref strip!

Which of course means if John Terry appears as a pundit we can expect him in fulll Engerland gear too, esp if they win it[/QUOTE}john-terry.jpg

Hello ladies!!! :( Lets hope he stays there and doesn't pop up on ITV!!!

Well I’d like to just share one thing VAR will change forever..

I mentioned this before the World Cup & it unfortunately has come to fruition..

When Lukaku scored today to win me my bet I screamed with joy then instantly sat and couldn’t bare to look in case they found a reason to dissalow it.

When Kane scored the winner tonite again everyone around me lept accross the room apart from me, I cheered get in & then stood instantly afterwords awaiting the kick so that I knew it stood, only then I could fully celebrate.

VAR may help or not help referees or the game in the future that is yet to be seen BUT the one thing it will change forever is how a fan celebrates a goal.

Once as a fan (not a fan like me that is a ref Aswell) you have VAR rule out a goal for your team you’ll never celebrate the same again.

You wont celebrate properly until the dust has settled and the referee looks certain to walk to the half way line & re Start with kick off.

I’m talking goals that involve goal mouth action or close offsides not flagged by Lino.

That 100% raw passion & emotion will be shackled & will never be the same again.

Sounds dramatic I know but trust me I couldn’t celebrate tonite until I Atleast saw an ariel replay & ticked off my own checklist to the validity of the goal.

Last edited by a moderator:
VAR quiz question. The ball is headed into goal directly from a corner kick. Replay shows the ball was clearly placed outside the corner area at the time of the corner kick. Can this be reviewed and the goal be disallowed?

VAR quiz question. The ball is headed into goal directly from a corner kick. Replay shows the ball was clearly placed outside the corner area at the time of the corner kick. Can this be reviewed and the goal be disallowed?

In a perfect world one would hope so? At a guess, I dont think it would be classed as clear and obvious, despite it being clearly out the arc
If that makes sense...

Same question be posed if goal came from a punted moving ball in defensive third and so on?

If they don’t come under clear and obvious then it’s not just open to abuse, it’s inherently abused. I’m with Brazil;)

I am very disappointed with VAR. It was supposed to take controversy out of the game. Instead it has added more controversy. There is more talk about VAR than about football. We are not there to be the centre attention, the way the game is played is. Iran V Portugal had a contender for the goal of the tournament but it will be only be remembered for VAR controversy .

I genuinely thought VAR will be good for the game and its about 80% there and only needs a bit of twitching. As it stands its anybody's guess what is being reviewed and what is not. Protocol is not followed from time to time (speed of replay, time added on...). Too many things wrong with it despite having 9 VAR staff and 35 cameras. If they can't get it right with that much investment in it in a World Cup, notional associations have no hope.

The question now is, would FIFA be honest enough to admit they shouldn't have rushed VAR to the 2018WC and go back to the drawing board or will they pull out another 99.8% accuracy report.

Last edited:
If it is (as you state) clearly placed outside the corner area, then yes, VAR should inform that there was a reason not to give the goal in that attacking phase of play. Then, strictly speaking, the corner should be retaken.

If it is (as you state) clearly placed outside the corner area, then yes, VAR should inform that there was a reason not to give the goal in that attacking phase of play. Then, strictly speaking, the corner should be retaken.
I don't think VAR protocol covers this question. So its anybody's guess.

The corner being taken from the wrong side of the field in Morocco vs Spain was very close to this question and it was not reviewed. I am not sure if because it was not allowed to be reviewed or they just missed it.

I don't think VAR protocol covers this question. So its anybody's guess.
I think that it does. A corner kick taken with the ball outside the corner area is surely "an incorrectly taken restart" so I reckon the following is applicable:
In addition, an incorrectly taken restart (e.g. ball moving at a free kick, foul throw-in etc.) which ultimately leads to a goal or penalty incident cannot be reviewed as this is not a ‘match-changing’ decision and it should be detected by the match officials.
I'm not sure I agree with their argument, if a goal is scored directly from it, I think it is a 'match-changing decision' but it does seem to be covered.

Back