A&H

Wristbands

Status
Not open for further replies.

magpie1892

Level 7 Referee
Hi

Would like to clarify what the LOTG states on those rubber wristbands that you can buy for charity, Id like to guess players can't wear them. I bought myself one today to wear Sunday to show my respect on remembrance day, however if a player is wearing one id presume these need removing before the match kicks off.

']

The Referee Store
By the LOTG, I believe you're right. Charity wristbands are easily removable, though - but haven't these gone out of fashion? A bigger issue is festival and nightclub wristbands, cos these are apparently cool, and therefore difficult to get people to relinquish. Personally, at pub level, they don't bother me; it's not as if they pose a risk.

Last edited:
should get on over to poppies4kits.

Got a shirt with a poppy on the comes out each year.

You canlt wear yours and neither can they wear theirs.

And give your minutes silence due respect, if both teams agree to having it that is....

So, to get technical...
A player must not wear anything that is dangerous to himself or any other player (including any kind of jewellery).

(LOTG, p22)

But what does this mean? That you can't wear any jewellery? Or just jewellery that is dangerous?

Also, what is jewellery?
Personal ornaments, such as necklaces, rings, or bracelets, that are typically made from or contain jewels and precious metal.

A dictionary

Not sure that definition would include rubber or paper wristbands. But the LOTG's does...
"All items of jewellery (necklaces, rings, bracelets, earrings, leather bands, rubber bands, etc) are strictly forbidden. Referees are also prohibited from wearing jewellery.

LOTG, p70

So there you go. Rubber bands count as jewellery and neither you nor the players can wear them, according to the LOTG. Though sweatbands are okay, 'cos they're definitely not jewellery, and, as we all know, cotton is much less dangerous than rubber.

Do with that what you will...

Last edited:
A sweat band has a function whereas a rubber band does not, at least not one useful in the context of football.

Plenty of FA/PGMO publications and a World Cup final referee have recommended using a rubber band as a concentration tool...

Plenty of FA/PGMO publications and a World Cup final referee have recommended using a rubber band as a concentration tool...
They mean a close fitting elastic band of the kind found in an office, not a 1cm wide, 3 mm thick charity band that hangs loosely around the wrist.

As for festival bands, these are often secured by a metal clasping unit measuring 1cmx1cm and around 3mm thick. Inflexible enough not to move and hard enough to cause a nasty cut or knock a tooth out.

Last edited:
By the LOTG, I believe you're right. Charity wristbands are easily removable, though - but haven't these gone out of fashion? A bigger issue is festival and nightclub wristbands, cos these are apparently cool, and therefore difficult to get people to relinquish. Personally, at pub level, they don't bother me; it's not as if they pose a risk.

Don't worry mate, someone else will do your job for you next week

If it's decorative as opposed to functional, it's jewellery. These rubber wristbands are a danger, because if somebody's finger gets caught it could be a very bad dislocation. Same with the paper wristbands from festivals - they're so hard to break it would cause the same problem. They go. Same for referees.

As for festival bands, these are often secured by a metal clasping unit measuring 1cmx1cm and around 3mm thick. Inflexible enough not to move and hard enough to cause a nasty cute or knock a tooth out.

Well I stand corrected. Didn't know they had metal on them. Shows how many festivals I've been to...

Or perhaps Brian is simply showing his age here - I've never seen a festival band with a metal clasp :cool: However, they are ridiculously strong, almost impossible to rip off (you'd probably have more luck ripping a rubber one!). IMO these sorts of things are more dangerous than a thin metal bracelet or chain, or flat ring.

Or perhaps Brian is simply showing his age here - I've never seen a festival band with a metal clasp :cool: However, they are ridiculously strong, almost impossible to rip off (you'd probably have more luck ripping a rubber one!). IMO these sorts of things are more dangerous than a thin metal bracelet or chain, or flat ring.
Last seen on my Glastonbury wristband in 2010. This year's Download wristband had a hard plastic clasp type fixing. #ageist ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back