A&H

Young Referee

Matthew21701

There is an upcoming referees beginner course in the new year in my area and I am hoping to do it and start refereeing asap. My only worry is that I'm only 17 and teams will exploit this and try to take advantage. Has anyone else had any experiences of refereeing at this age? If not, I would be grateful for advice on starting out as a referee. Thanks

The Referee Store
Would recommend starting out at youth, building your confidence up and then moving into open age football. Don’t let your age stop you! Stay confident, learn the LOTG and stick to your guns. You’ll find most of the people who do the course will be around your age too, so the tutors are well aware of how to best prepare you and will be able to advise you more on where best to start.

About 50% of our course participants are 14 or below. About 80% are 18 or below. As Alex said you don't have to go in to adult football untill you are comfortable to do so. Start as lowest age as possible and work your way up. Make sure you do plenty of lines on AO games before you get in the middle.

The fact you are aware team may try to exploit your age means you are a smart cookie and it will be hard for them to do so :)

Good luck in the course.

There is an upcoming referees beginner course in the new year in my area and I am hoping to do it and start refereeing asap. My only worry is that I'm only 17 and teams will exploit this and try to take advantage. Has anyone else had any experiences of refereeing at this age? If not, I would be grateful for advice on starting out as a referee. Thanks

Welcome!

Remember as a referee you are given some tools that you can use, namely a loud whistle and 2 cards (one yellow and one red).

Assuming you know the laws of the game, you'll find very quickly that if you apply them confidently and use the tools available to clamp down on players that do cross the line, then they'll quickly learn you are not a soft touch.

Good luck!

Thanks everyone for the support. I am trying to convince a few of my friends to do it with me but if there are more people around my age there, that would be great. I think that I know the LOTG well and I have played for the past few years. I like the idea of doing AR games in the older leagues before I start doing CR games at the older ages.

I am looking forward to the course and start refereeing soon!

Thanks everyone for the support. I am trying to convince a few of my friends to do it with me but if there are more people around my age there, that would be great. I think that I know the LOTG well and I have played for the past few years. I like the idea of doing AR games in the older leagues before I start doing CR games at the older ages.

I am looking forward to the course and start refereeing soon!
Think again. We all thought that lol

Back