A&H

2 Friendlies and 2 reds!

svenny76

RefChat Addict
So i have completed 2 friendlies this season in the middle, and 3 lines.

In both of the "friendlies" i have done, each one has ended in a sending off.

Game 1,
Manager asked me before the game if anyone gets out of hand, gives you abuse would you allow me to take them off straight away, i agreed to this (foolishly)
Bit of a naughty tackle goes in so give an obvious free kick, queue the abuse, so i turn to the player and ask him politely to calm down, carries on being abusive, so i turn to the manager, and advise him to sub him, player then decides that he doesnt want to be subbed and tells me to send him off instead.
Much to his suprise. I did!!!
Lesson learnt on this one, do not agree to the substitution bit again, although i dont think that had any affect on the players attitude as i would have given him a straight red for his gob normally.

2nd game
fair tackle (IMO) by centre half on the striker, striker gets up and headbutts him square in the mouth!!!!

if this is how my season is going to continue then i could be a busy boy!!

The Referee Store
Pre-season: Manage it as you see fit, considering how things go on the day. However, NEVER agree to anything like this with the teams, as you are making a rod for your own back. I lead with "Cards count, and they will go in".

4 games pre season so far and 3 cautions and a red.. All for mouth , all went in in hindsight should have cared a player on Sunday when I told him to calm down or he would be in the book, to which he shouted he couldn't give a **** , his team then jumped on him and told him to be quiet which he did.

... a player on Sunday when I told him to calm down or he would be in the book, to which he shouted he couldn't give a **** , his team then jumped on him and told him to be quiet which he did.

Stepped approach...use of the captain...you'll be a level 7 in no time :D

Never do friendlies for just this reason.
Had a clear DOGSO after 15 minutes, red card, player went ape, manager went ape, grief for the next 70 minutes and manager refused to give me my match-fee

No such thing as a "friendly" and that's why some referees get themselves into a pickle and difficult situations. It's one of the most valued lesson I learnt early on by having the friendly mentality. Treat every game the same and make sure you don't any special dispensation because it's a friendly.

Have to agree absolutely hate friendlies, hated playing in them and hate refereeing them. Teams think they can make up there own laws, come on ref its only a friendly. Done one this year as it was from my district secretary and I couldn't really say no.

6 cautions (2 of which made an S7) in my 4 pre-season matches so far, ALL for dissent.
And that was me being very, very restrained. (against my better judgment)
Def thinking of giving them a miss next season

Reactions: SM
i think a lot of refs in my area gave them a wide birth, i must have received 15 various emails looking for ref's of all levels!!

Back