A&H

2 on 1 tackle

MumRef

Hello all. Is there a law which covers when two are tackling one player? I let it go today but it felt wrong and I checked with the ref on another game and he said it wasn't allowed. Is it under the careless or reckless tackle rule with a direct free kick? Or is there a specific law which says two shouldn't tackle the same player? I know (now) it is wrong, but I just want to check why.

The Referee Store
Hello all. Is there a law which covers when two are tackling one player? I let it go today but it felt wrong and I checked with the ref on another game and he said it wasn't allowed. Is it under the careless or reckless tackle rule with a direct free kick? Or is there a specific law which says two shouldn't tackle the same player? I know (now) it is wrong, but I just want to check why.
It is not wrong in itself, but becomes an offence if either of the two commits one of the Law 12 listed offences.

It used to be that two players shoulder charging an opponent was considered “holding” and a foul—that’s the only thing I can think of that would relate to two,opponents. But that was changed so that as long as each shoulder charge is itself fair, there is no offense. With two players tackling at the same time, I think it increases the likelihood of one of them reaching the level of careless, but each challenge has to be h judged on its own merits.

Gets really tricky when it's reckless or SPA, because you almost have to guess who it was who gets the booking. Pro-tip: if one of them has been booked already, guess very carefully

Back