A&H

2 referee assaults in 2 days

The Referee Store
I have seen YouTube videos and newspaper reports which would indicate that this is not accurate :rolleyes:

I have seen YouTube videos and newspaper reports which would indicate that this is not accurate :rolleyes:
My immediate thoughts on reading the BBC report was that something didn't add up, whilst a push on an official is an assault, there seems to much around it, surely something more happened?

My immediate thoughts on reading the BBC report was that something didn't add up, whilst a push on an official is an assault, there seems to much around it, surely something more happened?
Reports ive had from colleagues and from people that were there would suggest more did indeed happen. Cant possibly comment any more than that

Wow... Here in the US people are afraid to even talk bad to referees because we have "Zero Tolerance".
Unfortunately that's just not true. At the 2015 trial in Detroit of a man who killed a referee by punching him when he was about to be red carded, the judge remarked on a growing trend of referee assaults across the US. According to a report on the trial:

Experts agree with [the judge's remarks], saying that there's a culture of disrespecting sports officials that can spill over into violence and even death. The year before Bieniewicz died, a player in Utah killed a soccer referee over a call he didn't like. In Michigan, legislators want to increase the penalties for attacks on referees: a pair of bills passed a Senate committee last week. Twenty-three other states in the U.S. have such laws, according to the National Association of Sports Officials.

Unfortunately that's just not true. At the 2015 trial in Detroit of a man who killed a referee by punching him when he was about to be red carded, the judge remarked on a growing trend of referee assaults across the US. According to a report on the trial:
My apologies. I should have clarified. Here in New York, that's what I meant.

Back