A&H

47 games done....

The Referee Store
Sorry to be an a**e but unless you are refereeing in a church league or maybe u15 (whihc I doubt cos ur a level 6) one red card in 47 matches almost definitely makes you far too lenient.
Plus 47? I mentally could not handle 47 open age matches in 4/5 months!!
Are you spreading yourself too thin?

About 80% of my games have been OA (With a few Church League games thrown in!!).

I am honestly as shocked as you, and others that I've mentioned this too. Last season, I was about 1 in 5, and the season before was about 1 in 4, so I have no idea how it's gone on for this long. I've not changed tolerance levels to become more lenient either. I can only think of 2 instances where I was close to dismissing someone, and then they either shut up for the rest of the game, or got substituted.

I don't think I'm spreading myself to thin. I was lucky enough to get assigned midweek matches neatly every week for the first 9/10 weeks of the season, and did the odd 2 games on a Sunday.

I've had 45 games so far this season (only 22 of those in the middle though) and had my first reds of the season on Saturday!

Well firstly, hello everyone, this is my first post withing ref chat, as it's the first I feel I can leave a fair comment on.
Firstly, my own statistics for the reason (due to an injury I have refereed very few games this season):
Women's OA: 6 games, 0 cautions, 0 red cards, 0 penalties- All of my games have been very straight forwards and have lacked any offences that require a caution or red card, with the teams avoiding any foul language of even decent of any sort.
Women's U14-16: 10 games, 0 cautions, 0 red cards, 1 penalty- similar story to above, the penalty was an accidental trip.
Boy's U12: 4 games, 0 cautions, 0 red cards, 0 penalties- all one-sided games with few decisions to make.
Men's OA: 2 games, 3 caution, 0 red cards, 0 penalties- one caution of dissent and the other two for USB.
Sorry about the long post, but I don't feel as if I am LWR or a lenient referee at all, maybe it is just that the games I have had have been rather straightforward.
The stats appear to show the difference between men's and women's discipline, as I don't take a more lenient approach towards the women;s game.
A point about the Women's OA league I usually officiate in: Only 3 cautions and 1 red card have been shown all season, is this a worrying statistic (24 games played)?

Last edited:
Well firstly, hello everyone, this is my first post withing ref chat, as it's the first I feel I can leave a fair comment on.
Firstly, my own statistics for the reason (due to an injury I have refereed very few games this season):
Women's OA: 6 games, 0 cautions, 0 red cards, 0 penalties- All of my games have been very straight forwards and have lacked any offences that require a caution or red card, with the teams avoiding any foul language of even decent of any sort.
Women's U14-16: 10 games, 0 cautions, 0 red cards, 1 penalty- similar story to above, the penalty was an accidental trip.
Boy's U12: 4 games, 0 cautions, 0 red cards, 0 penalties- all one-sided games with few decisions to make.
Men's OA: 2 games, 3 caution, 0 red cards, 0 penalties- one caution of dissent and the other two for USB.
Sorry about the long post, but I don't feel as if I am LWR or a lenient referee at all, maybe it is just that the games I have had have been rather straightforward.
The stats appear to show the difference between men's and women's discipline, as I don't take a more lenient approach towards the women;s game.
A point about the Women's OA league I usually officiate in: Only 3 cautions and 1 red card have been shown all season, is this a worrying statistic (24 games played)?

I have been AR on 6 OA ladies games,this season, think only a total of about 6 cautions (and 1 penalty) in those games. Fairly high level - they were FA Cup, 3rd and 4th tier of the womens game and 1 x WFAPL Cup.

Women footballers (in my experience) tend to want to just get on with playing football rather than kick lumps out of each other or abuse the referee. That explains perfectly the disparity between their discipline stats and mens/boys.
On the other hand though, (again in my own experience) the standard of football is generally awful!! :D

Women footballers (in my experience) tend to want to just get on with playing football rather than kick lumps out of each other or abuse the referee. That explains perfectly the disparity between their discipline stats and mens/boys.
On the other hand though, (again in my own experience) the standard of football is generally awful!! :D

Quality varies in IMHO, its obviously slower, but standard of play can often be decent.

I've seen plenty of "generally awful" football at Loftus Road this season btw!:p

Not considering the age and type of football in which you are refereeing

Back