A&H

50/50

Steve Piff

Level 9 Referee
2 players challenging for the ball just outside the penalty area. Physical contactis 50/50 but beyond what is normally expected (in the opinion of the referee) the challenge is looking more like Russian wrestling, thewhistle needs to be blown to stop this but what do you give?

The Referee Store
If it's definitely 50/50 and both are the aggressors , caution both but go defensive free kick. Safe refereeing, better to argue over a defensive free kick than a goal scored from it . Same goes with corner decisions where you are not sure or where both players have contacted the ball at the same time

If it's definitely 50/50 and both are the aggressors , caution both but go defensive free kick. Safe refereeing, better to argue over a defensive free kick than a goal scored from it . Same goes with corner decisions where you are not sure or where both players have contacted the ball at the same time

Thanks... I went for a free kick to the attacking team (no goal scored) went for this because perhaps? The defending team should have been more cautious so as not to give away a decision against them. In hindsight I thought I should have gone for an dropped ball but the attacking team would have still gained an advantage due to the position.

Good advice.... I will err on the side of caution.

I think the LOTG would dictate a dropped ball restart in this situation.

I think the LOTG would dictate a dropped ball restart in this situation.
No longer. Now they're simultaneous offences, so punish the more serious.

If they're identical in terms of force, etc, typically, the defensive offence is more tactical, therefore more serious, so attacking free kick.

Back