A&H

6 second rule.

Do you enforce the 6 second rule.

• Total voters

MKAhmad

Level 6 Referee
Was watching a local game today , at a standard recreation ground on a public pitch. Cup semi final with many supporters for home and away teams even if it was at a park. Ref lost control very quickly booking 7 of the away team for dissent in the first half. But that wasn't the talking point. It was 2-1 to the away team with the away team time wasting as it was when the ref decided to penalise the away goalkeeper for holding the ball for longer than 6 seconds. Unsurprisingly the away team and thier fans were not happy especially seeing they had screamed at the ref for everything the whole game. Nothing came of the IDFK but wondered what people's views were on it especially seeing the rule of hardly ever enforced.

The Referee Store
If the keeper does tend to take a while, I'll hold my watch up visibly in the air and shout '6 seconds, keeper'. If it happens a second time, I'll say it again, but also go and speak to the keeper and warn him that the next time he does it, he'll be cautioned. I also think if you can be proactive about it without waiting for an opposition player to shout '6 seconds ref' or something like that, it can show both teams you're in control.

Have never had to caution anyone for it - usually they get the message after the first shout, makes them aware you're watching. Seems to work for me.

I count 6 very slowly and then shout "let's go keeper"...it tells the players that I'm on top of it and usually the keep gets rid of it very should.y after that. Have never had someone abuse it to the extent I felt the need to call it - but I would. If i shout "let's go keeper, 6 seconds" and he takes his sweet time after that I would.

I count 6 very slowly and then shout "let's go keeper"...it tells the players that I'm on top of it and usually the keep gets rid of it very should.y after that. Have never had someone abuse it to the extent I felt the need to call it - but I would. If i shout "let's go keeper, 6 seconds" and he takes his sweet time after that I would.

My sentiments entirely.

I did not think there was a law regarding 6 seconds any more. It should be treated as timewasting...caution and IDFK after warning.

I did not think there was a law regarding 6 seconds any more. It should be treated as timewasting...caution and IDFK after warning.

But 'time wasting' only applies when the ball is out of play and the offence in law is delaying the restart. You could possibly caution for unsporting behaviour...

Although, as others have said, this offence is rarely penalised and (partly because of this) I agree that it might be an idea to warn the keeper first before penalising it, as per the Laws this is, at least in the first instance, simply an IDFK offence. I think it would be a bit harsh to go straight to a caution (for USB, presumably) if you hadn't already given at least one IDFK for it.

You can caution for it, but I would only do so if the keeper did it more than once, and was deliberately delaying the game. It wouldn't be delaying the restart of play, because the ball is in play. However, it could fall under unsporting behavior.

Similarly, you can be cautioned for preventing the keeper from releasing the ball, but I would only do so if it stops and obvious break.

As others have said i count loudly on the first occasion only. I tell the captain asap that next time it's a IDFK and generally the keeper speeds up.

I'm quite tolerant on this - always glad of a little breather for myself!

I won't even consider that the clock is ticking until I've got myself into the position I want to be in. Then, if he's taking his time, I'll give him a shout get on with it. Normally does the trick.

Big verbal warning to let all players, officials know you are on it. Second warning of equal verocity, then an indirect kick.

Its not a call or problem you really want so you hope the warnings do the trick.

Usually notice him taking the proverbial first then I do a very visible and verbal count a la Futsbal usally works when you get to four!

I find 6 seconds is a surprisingly long time if you count it out. Can't say I've had much issue with this in any of my games. I find goalkeepers are more likely to 'waste time' at goal kicks rather than when they have the ball in hand.

I have only penalised for this once. Keeper had the ball but the attacking centre forward was loitering quite closely. I got the forward to come away but the keeper still mucked about looking round. He must have held on for about 15 seconds once the forward began to move away. I shouted for him to get a move on and he did; he started walking to the other side of the penalty area still holding the ball! I blew and awarded IDFK. The attacking team decided to ignore my raised arm signal and had a shot which took a deflection off someone and the ball went in the goal. So, I awarded the goal.
The club's online match report made interesting reading a few days later. The report stated that the referee said the keeper held onto the ball for about 15 seconds when it was actually only about 10! Last time I looked 10 was more than 6!
This was about 18 months ago and I haven't been back to this club since. I have been appointed there next month! Ha ha.

this law is now obsolete. the criteria is now if the referee considers the goalkeeper to have had hold of the ball foe an excessive amount of time, then the referee would penalise with an indirect free kick

Back