A&H

60 minutes trial

Tealeaf

Lighting the darkest hour
Staff member
A proposal has been made by the Portuguese U23 league to trial 60 minute games.

The article itself is behind a paywall unfortunately so I couldn’t see the full details, but the opening paragraph clearly stated that this would be actual ball-in-play time, with the clock stopping whenever the ball is out of play much like rugby league and futsal? (Correct me if I’m wrong on the latter please).

Predictably it’s got the usual uproar on social media from people not bothering to look for further detail. However it’s been commented on here many times that in a typical Premier League game the ball may only be in play for around 45 minutes.

Could be a feasible idea.

The Referee Store
Without futsal style counts to get the ball back into play at restarts, football would descend it a 3 hour plus game after refs decide as the clock is stopped 'delaying the restart' is even more OK than it is now.

I disagree.

I think that it only gains traction from fans who seem to think the LOTG require us to add stoppages for every instance the ball is out of play. We don't, it's even stated in the FAQ that the ball being out of play for throw ins, goal kicks and whatnot is normal game time.

I honestly think I'd quit football altogether if we started catering to stopclocking every bloody time the ball goes out just to pad out the 'in-play' numbers.

I disagree.

I think that it only gains traction from fans who seem to think the LOTG require us to add stoppages for every instance the ball is out of play. We don't, it's even stated in the FAQ that the ball being out of play for throw ins, goal kicks and whatnot is normal game time.

I honestly think I'd quit football altogether if we started catering to stopclocking every bloody time the ball goes out just to pad out the 'in-play' numbers.
Yeah, I'm with you. Balls to that idea.

The article itself is behind a paywall unfortunately so I couldn’t see the full details, but the opening paragraph clearly stated that this would be actual ball-in-play time, with the clock stopping whenever the ball is out of play much like rugby league and futsal? (Correct me if I’m wrong on the latter please).

Predictably it’s got the usual uproar on social media from people not bothering to look for further detail. However it’s been commented on here many times that in a typical Premier League game the ball may only be in play for around 45 minutes.

Try 12ft ladder website ( https://12ft.io/ ) to bypass paywall.

Then refs need to do something meaningful to stop time wasting at all times in a game. For anyone watching the city v athletico game you'll know what I mean...
No added time in the first half then only 2 mins in the second half beggars belief

Reactions: es1
No added time in the first half then only 2 mins in the second half beggars belief

Spot on. Ref (who I thought had a decent game) effectively validated their approach. If there's no penalty they'll do it again and again

I don't mind the 60 minute idea for pro football but not sure it's feasible on the Pyramid. Would need a 4O to track the time
Shame we couldn't just caution players for delaying the restart but maybe that battle is just too hard to win

I don't mind the 60 minute idea for pro football but not sure it's feasible on the Pyramid. Would need a 4O to track the time
Shame we couldn't just caution players for delaying the restart but maybe that battle is just too hard to win

And for me that also goes away from the concept that football is a global game, with the same laws in place whether you are at a FIFA WC or playing Sunday League. And yes, I know VAR changes that a bit, but fundamentally the same laws are in place even if they aren't always applied the same.

Gonna run the line as a CAR for my local side tomorrow. Might wear a second watch and time ball in/out, and work out when a 30 minute half would end. Tuesday probably.

Gonna run the line as a CAR for my local side tomorrow. Might wear a second watch and time ball in/out, and work out when a 30 minute half would end. Tuesday probably.
Lol thankfully it wasn't just me with the multiple posting 😂

First half, ball was actively in play during the 47:30 minutes for…

TWENTY FOUR.

Didn’t do it second half, was a bit of a tasty match, and forgot 😂

First half, ball was actively in play during the 47:30 minutes for…

TWENTY FOUR.

Didn’t do it second half, was a bit of a tasty match, and forgot 😂
So realistically to get to the magic 30 minute half time for a 60 minute match, you'd probably have played an hour.

Back