A&H

80 minute game?

Have you ever shortened a game before or during the match?

• Total voters
Now this is a part of Law 7 that may well need amending. It says the half time interval can only be changed with the referee's permission but doesn't require that both teams agree which I rather feel it should, especially when it starts out by saying that the players are entitled to an interval.
I think it does require both teams to agree (though it could be clearer). Since the players are entitled to an interval, then any request to go without one, would need unanimous agreement (even a single player wanting a break means a break is necessary). If all the players agree THEN the referee decides whether or not to give consent. This is how it is interpreted in several quiz questions I have come across.

The Referee Store
Now this is a part of Law 7 that may well need amending. It says the half time interval can only be changed with the referee's permission but doesn't require that both teams agree which I rather feel it should, especially when it starts out by saying that the players are entitled to an interval.
You're right. I am sure there is a question on Areferee that covers this scenario as well whereby one player wants the full allowance and the referee must allow it being the answer, that answer, not quite being what the law says.

I think as it can only be reduced with the referees permission the sensible option is to only allow reduction if both teams agree. I think the law allows this as the sole descretion is with the referee

Last edited:
i'm sure we've all had it (specially in junior games where the scorelines can get out of hand) where we get asked to cut the second half short with 10 mins to go.... sorry fellas, just cant do that !

Very much down to competition rules. The standard adult code of rules (SCoR), which has to be adopted by all leagues, states ...

Within the National League System (“NLS”) all matches shall have a duration of 90 minutes. All matches outside of the NLS shall have duration of 90 minutes unless a shorter time (not less than sixty (60) minutes) is mutually arranged by the two Clubs in consultation with the referee prior to the commencement of the match, and in any event shall be of equal halves. Two matches involving the same two teams can be played on the same day providing the total playing time is not more than 120 minutes

So unless the game is in the NLS (details here https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_League_System) the referee and both clubs can agree to shortening the game, as long as this is agreed before the game commences and the two halves remain equal. If any one club, or the referee, doesn't agree then it stays as 90 minutes. If this means the game doesn't finish then the referee would need to report the facts to the competition, especially if one club's refusal ultimately caused the game to be abandoned.
Pedants' Corner: that's from the new SCOR which comes into effect next season - as it currently stands even matches within the NLS may be shortened, depending on the individual competition rules!

Did this once a few years ago on an evening game. The away team had caused a late kickoff of about 10 minutes, so I agreed with both captains at the toss that we'd shorten the halves to 35 minutes to guarantee completing the fixture. Cue the away team being 2-1 down as I blew for full time, and one of their player/coaches just not being able to let it go (he thought as it was still (just) light enough to carry on, we should've had 40 or 45 mins for the second half...)!

Haven't ever had cause to, but you certainly can if at the outset you know you won't get the whole game(equal halves and a half time break).

I would clear it with both managers and captains - make it look like you are consulting them.

The competition rules will determine the shortest possible half length. You don't want to plump for 35 when the competition rules won't accept matches less than 40.

Cup games where extra time might be needed are most likely types of games where this could occur
Absolutely spot on. The best thing to do is to check when it would be too dark to play in the 2-3 days before your evening game. Make your decision before you arrive and also have some flexibility built in to allow for late kick off (for example 40EW if you kick off on time but 35EW if a team is late). Communicate that clearly to the teams and make sure they agree to it. Play your game and hope there's no injuries lasting more than a minute or so.

As for Cup games, many competitions have dispensed with extra time so they can allow flexibility in kick off time. In my experience, it would be unusual for a cup game to be taking place at this stage of the season, being played in the evening, unless the venue had floodlights.

And final point regarding leagues setting kick off times that mean games are shortened, as a fixture secretary for the last 10-11 years, evening games are driven by postponements caused by weather, ground availability and team availability. We do what we can to get the league finished as early as possible and don't want teams hanging around 6 weeks between their last couple of fixtures.

I went to watch a mid-week local league match last week which was delayed by one team turning up late. Although competition rules allow reduction to 40 minutes, the teams and referee agreed it needed to drop to 35 minutes because of how late they were. There was a comment along the lines of "the league won't thank us for postponing instead of playing only 35 each way" ... pitching it as common sense vs strict application of rules.

@Brian Hamilton , with your league fixture secretary hat on, is that an approach you would support for referees? We regularly stress the importance of knowing and following competition rules, so I was a bit torn on whether it was the right thing for them to do.

I went to watch a mid-week local league match last week which was delayed by one team turning up late. Although competition rules allow reduction to 40 minutes, the teams and referee agreed it needed to drop to 35 minutes because of how late they were. There was a comment along the lines of "the league won't thank us for postponing instead of playing only 35 each way" ... pitching it as common sense vs strict application of rules.

@Brian Hamilton , with your league fixture secretary hat on, is that an approach you would support for referees? We regularly stress the importance of knowing and following competition rules, so I was a bit torn on whether it was the right thing for them to do.
At this stage of the season, get the game played and worry about the consequences later. Inform the league by all means and let them decide what they want to do. They just need to remember their purpose which is to organise local football, so they shouldn't complain that the game was played.

Reactions: Ste
Personally if I know I have an evening kick off I check the light the nights building up to it, you get a good idea of the timing. Although if dark clouds come in then you may need to cut short..health and safety of players paramount and if they can't see the ball or each other time to blow no matter how long played!

I think it does require both teams to agree (though it could be clearer). Since the players are entitled to an interval, then any request to go without one, would need unanimous agreement (even a single player wanting a break means a break is necessary). If all the players agree THEN the referee decides whether or not to give consent. This is how it is interpreted in several quiz questions I have come across.
I absolutely agree with you that's how it should work, I agree with your logic as to why and FIFA/IFAB apparently agree too, based on the Q&A's from a few years ago, the most recent of which (2006) went as follows:
What should a referee do if the two captains agree to forego the half-time interval but one of the players insists on his right to take an interval?
Players have a right to an interval and the referee must grant it.

However it still seems like an oversight to me that the law does not actually mention requiring the players to agree to change the half time interval, especially when it says it in the preceding paragraph about altering the length of the halves.

Pedants' Corner: that's from the new SCOR which comes into effect next season - as it currently stands even matches within the NLS may be shortened, depending on the individual competition rules!

Fair point, I could find this season's so given I had recently been sent next season's I went with that. The premise is still pretty much the same though, as extremely rare that an NLS game would be shortened.

Back