A&H

Junior/Youth A few incidents...

dylan22

Level 7 Referee
U-18s game yesterday two teams geographically pretty close together - had a good chat with the home team manager beforehand and he mentioned that some of the players knew each other - apparently the previous time when they'd played in the cup had been a bit of a nightmare; lots of heavy tackles and dissent.

Also, and this was something I'd noticed at a couple of youth games now, there were spectators there from the players' schools - obviously this isn't an issue - but on both youth match occasions prior to yesterday I've noticed that these spectators, who obviously friends with the players, tend to shout stuff during the game to make both teams get it into a bit more - cue heavy tackles and lots of 'tricks' presumably to impress their mates.

I called the captains in before KO and told them I was aware of the local rivalry and that it was their responsibility to keep their players cool - I also mentioned the spectators and told them to just get on with the game.

And despite my worry that it'd end up in chaos it was fairly good natured - if anything the players seemed to be enjoying it rather than trying to kick lumps out of each other - predictably, the away captain who seemed to be quite congenial at the beginning turned out to be the biggest problem player, he theatrically dived in the first half, it was ridiculous and everyone pretty much laughed him off - as soon as the ball went out I called him over to have a chat - should I have booked him? - he got arsey and was telling me he was fine and to leave him alone, I told him I wasn't coming to check he was okay!

He kept going throughout the game with little niggley fouls, comments to the other team - which was winding them up a bit - beginning of the second half I'd had enough and he got a booking, didn't hear from him again - then a final booking for an away player too.

Had quite a few shouts for pushing in the back - which is nothing unusual - and I pretty much made sure to shout 'remember to keeps arms/hands down please, boys' but still a fair few - is there a better way to address this, or am I always going to get these shouts?

All in all, local derby, two bookings and my first ever 0-0.

Last edited:
The Referee Store
It sounds like you handled a potentially tricky situation well, so credit to you. The 'push in the back' appeals are a particular bane of mine, too. Because younger players are generally less advanced technically and rely on direct tactics, the number of collisions to examine becomes exhausting after a while (incidentally, it's always lovely to have a match once every so often--usually division 1--where you're strolling around one half, the patterns of passing rendering life much easier in positional terms, added to the fact that the possession reduces your decision count and saves energy).
My recommendation, which I gathered on here, is to anticipate aerial challenges from a high ball early on and to ensure you have the best possible view. Even if it's a hefty impact, if there's fairly even contact on both sides and a reasonable attempt to play the ball, I will usually play on. I've had coaches accuse me of letting things go, but if it's almost impossible to identify a more serious offender and safety isn't endangered, I can't see the use in doing anything else. With regard to the challenges from throw-ins, I would ignore pretty much all the calls. Obviously watch what is happening and make up your own mind, but I find that players mistake outstretched hands for a genuine attempt to push or climb on the opponent.
It's also cyclical in my experience, so there are games where it's hardly an issue right down to ones where it's all you hear throughout. This would suggest that the occurrence of such challenges is connected with the way you deal with the first one. As with many laws, if you give a soft one early in the match or simply tell the teams to watch their hands, it's likely players will respond accordingly. It's also then possible to wipe out the threat of escalation from either side.

Last edited:
Yeah I agree with SLI39. However, I am no expert of course, but are you allowed to officiate U18 football matches when a level 9 referee?

Yeah I agree with SLI39. However, I am no expert of course, but are you allowed to officiate U18 football matches when a level 9 referee?

Yes. Level 9 is a trainee referee. You may be confusing it with level 8 which is a qualified ref aged under 16, and hence only able to ref u16 and below.

(Until I hopefully pass my test tomorrow) I am currently a level 9 and have done adults, u18s, u16s & u15s (but then I'm a knocked old git closer to fifty than forty!)

Back