A&H

A U18 girls' player kicked me!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Next we'll be abandoning matches when people emotionally abuse us :oops:

He called me fat.. That hurts my feelings... Game off!!! Toughen up man!

I'd only abandon a game if I felt like I had no other choice. I wouldn't give an idiot the satisfaction of abandoning a game based on their behaviour! Why should everyone suffer because of one or two individuals?
You sir, are an idiot. Well played :) your refereeing colleagues salute you

Might seem a little harsh. Maybe it is.

The Referee Store
Might seem a little harsh. Maybe it is.

Definitely. :eek: ;)
And now, in keeping with the manner of the thread, after that horrific assault on David's feelings, I think that this thread should now be abandoned. :D :p

A "staff member" Calling someone an idiot... Aren't you supposed to enforce good manners on here?

I just have a backbone and wouldn't abandon a game because of one moron, like that or not, that's my opinion. Calling me an idiot is uncalled for, I wouldn't be rude to you if I disagreed with your OPINION! I may not agree with it, but you'd be entitled to it and I wouldn't offend you because of that!!!!

Definitely. :eek: ;)
And now, in keeping with the manner of the thread, after that horrific assault on David's feelings, I think that this thread should now be abandoned. :D :p

I keep my insults to myself instead of on a public forum.. A good thing really because being called an idiot offends me when I'm just giving an opinion on a forum designed for just that.

Last edited by a moderator:
People agreeing with padfoot and his generic black-and-white-holier-than-thou- arguing? Refereeing truly is in trouble. :rolleyes:

There are a few on here who keep running back to "a little girl who kicked a big hard referee" when the discussion has moved on. The same people who haven't experienced an assault. Cool, have your fun. Let's hope you don't end up on the receiving end eh?

Probably the same idiots who don't report such incidents as assault, just let it go. Well she had her red card... Hmmmm the guys who create problems for colleagues through their weakness.

Let's get some perspective and let's go back to the little girl kicking a referee scenario. The big hard grown men on here saying "never abandon". That's fine but let's flip it - It is a 16 year old female referee kicked, what do they do then?

Come back with some black and white argument lads. No need to break from form.

(Edited due to the original being a little harsh!)

Irony anyone?

It isn't me who is advocating the black and white option here.....I've said countless times that if the referee abandons because they feel incapable of continuing then it is understandable. And as that will be different for every ref, how much more grey do you want?

You're the one trying to subvert the system by encouraging colleagues to abandon for every assault because then the offender will get a harsher punishment.
That's about as black and white as you can get!

Nonsense. I highlighted a gripe made by a colleague who was assaulted and played on.

Irony anyone?

It isn't me who is advocating the black and white option here.....I've said countless times that if the referee abandons because they feel incapable of continuing then it is understandable. And as that will be different for every ref, how much more grey do you want?

You're the one trying to subvert the system by encouraging colleagues to abandon for every assault because then the offender will get a harsher punishment.
That's about as black and white as you can get!
I think that Mr SM is having a bad day. There can be no other explanation!

A "staff member" Calling someone an idiot... Aren't you supposed to enforce good manners on here?

I just have a backbone and wouldn't abandon a game because of one moron, like that or not, that's my opinion. Calling me an idiot is uncalled for, I wouldn't be rude to you if I disagreed with your OPINION! I may not agree with it, but you'd be entitled to it and I wouldn't offend you because of that!!!!

I keep my insults to myself instead of on a public forum.. A good thing really because being called an idiot offends me when I'm just giving an opinion on a forum designed for just that.
Not speaking as a staff member - Speaking as a referee who sees a very misguided referee happy to let down colleagues. saddens me.

If you want me to speak as a staff member, please may I remind you not to double post. Use the multi quote facility available on the forum.

As for your last post, nice try. Kind of 12 year old level baiting. :) amusing yet informative.

Not speaking as a staff member - Speaking as a referee who sees a very misguided referee happy to let down colleagues. saddens me.

I don't feel let down. :hmmm:
(Just putting that out there :D ).

Alright, maybe his sarcasm might have come across as somewhat flippant, but I think he's generally argued his point well, just as Padfoot has. Isn't the whole idea of this place based on an open exchange of views and perhaps a bit of banter? :)

I shall try to play my usual role as peacemaker and bringer of compromise :rolleyes:. I think we are all agreed that a referee should abandon a game if he feels physically or mentally incapable of continuing after an assault. Would seem likely that this is more likely to happen if working at grass roots without colleagues around. And I've heard a number of convincing arguments (though by no means unanimous) against abandoning purely to increase the ban given to the player.

For me, the interesting 'grey area' is one where the assault is such that the referee in question feels ok to continue but can well imagine that many other referees would not feel the same way. As a (purely hypothetical) example. Player pushes me hard in the chest after being red carded. I'm surprised but not hurt and feeling particularly confident that day can rise above his idiocy. But know deep down that other (smaller, less experienced, less confident, younger etc) refs would be in bits .. that's where I personally would be tempted to abandon, to protect other refs from experiencing the same behaviour and send out a clear and immediate message to all present about the unacceptability of that action. Who's with me? :)

Reactions: SM
Speaking as a referee who sees a very misguided referee happy to let down colleagues. saddens me.

I don't feel let down. :hmmm:
(Just putting that out there :D ).

Alright, maybe his sarcasm might have come across as somewhat flippant, but I think he's generally argued his point well, just as Padfoot has. Isn't the whole idea of this place based on an open exchange of views and perhaps a bit of banter? :)
This already answered your post mate.

I shall try to play my usual role as peacemaker and bringer of compromise :rolleyes:. I think we are all agreed that a referee should abandon a game if he feels physically or mentally incapable of continuing after an assault. Would seem likely that this is more likely to happen if working at grass roots without colleagues around. And I've heard a number of convincing arguments (though by no means unanimous) against abandoning purely to increase the ban given to the player.

For me, the interesting 'grey area' is one where the assault is such that the referee in question feels ok to continue but can well imagine that many other referees would not feel the same way. As a (purely hypothetical) example. Player pushes me hard in the chest after being red carded. I'm surprised but not hurt and feeling particularly confident that day can rise above his idiocy. But know deep down that other (smaller, less experienced, less confident, younger etc) refs would be in bits .. that's where I personally would be tempted to abandon, to protect other refs from experiencing the same behaviour and send out a clear and immediate message to all present about the unacceptability of that action. Who's with me? :)

No. Our responsibility is to deal with what is in front of us, not what might happen in some hypothetical future game.

Yep. Seen. Fair point well presented. :oops: :D
I think David just feels it was a little more than banter that's all. ;)

Shall we tell him to "man up" :D
I'm fine with banter, I can dish it out as much as the next person. I can also take it quite well.

I don't agree with the fact a staff member who is always first to warn people about being rude, feels that he is above his own rules enough so that he can be rude to someone. If I was to call you an idiot Kes, I'd get a digital slap on the wrist!

If people have an opinion of me, if they think I'm a" misguided idiot" then that is their opinion and I respect that. I don't necessarily have to agree with it. I certainly wouldn't be rude to someone who is just voicing an opinion on a site based for just that.

This will be my last post on this thread as I don't want to say something that will get me banned.... I quite like talking to a few people on here you see.

Reactions: Kes
Woah! Well this made for interesting reading after a 17 hour day at work!

Chaps, a gentle reminder to please be civil with each other. Whether you agree with someone else's opinion or not please respect it. Everyone is entitled to an opinion and I love the fact they are shared on here, but for the love of all that is holy, can we stop with the bickering and name calling?

Peace out. Bed time

Few years ago, after challenging some local scrotes in Manchester, I remember having a punch thrown at me by someone who could not have been more than 14.
Once he'd picked himself up off the floor, ran away and the adrenaline had worn off I was genuinely surprised at how much it affected me (6 ft, 220 pounds, 6 years military service).
Anyone trying to cause you physical harm (unless you are semi expecting it like a bouncer or the police) gets the adrenaline going so much that you are too "pumped up" to referee and when it wears off you need to bloody sit down!
Can't referee like that

Few years ago, after challenging some local scrotes in Manchester, I remember having a punch thrown at me by someone who could not have been more than 14.
Once he'd picked himself up off the floor, ran away and the adrenaline had worn off I was genuinely surprised at how much it affected me (6 ft, 220 pounds, 6 years military service).
Anyone trying to cause you physical harm (unless you are semi expecting it like a bouncer or the police) gets the adrenaline going so much that you are too "pumped up" to referee and when it wears off you fell almost faint.
Can't referee like that
Couldn't agree more. At a gig on Sunday and was physically confronted by a buff little fellow who wanted to barge past me and the Mrs. I'm no Mr Bean (5'10", 250lbs, qualified door supervisor and ex-rugby league prop forward) and when I stood up to him and successfully suggested he find another route through the packed audience, it left me on edge for 36 hours.

My viewpoint of referee assault has changed since I first started out. I've learned that those who push a referee to the ground/forcefully, punch/headbutt a referee or kick a referee are often repeat offenders. If it happens to you, abandon, go home, write your report and do next week's referee a favour.

You've been kicked on the shin by a petulant teenage girl.......keep a sense of perspective!

If you've just been headbutted by the 6'5 centre half on a Sunday morning.....you're probably not going to be in any state to continue.......however if you've just been pushed in the chest by the 5'4 winger, you might be perfectly able to continue after having dealt with the offender?

But what you're advocating is to treat both situations the same and abandon. And you accuse me of seeing things only in black and white?

Allowing that push to go unchecked will make the other 21 think this type of thing is okay.
They will ALWAYS remember that game that got abandoned and it might make them think twice.
The 1% chance that I am stopping a future ref getting butted is enough for me.

I assume you don't issue red cards then?
Ruins the game doesn't it?

I've broken my "I won't post anymore" promise... I thought I'd reply to your question.

The last game I officiated, I sent off two players...

One for striking my hand as I went to issue a caution. As I sent this guy off (and got a massive amount of abuse may I add), I then had his team mate come behind me and say "You c***." He then walks up to my face and continues, "c***, c****, c***!! You gonna send me off now ref? C***, c***" and so he continued,.. 2nd red card.

I'd been struck and verbally abused. I didn't abandon the game. Two morons who decided to act like petulant idiots. I dealt with the situation and continued the game, albeit, a 11 v 9 game...

Although subjected to that, I wasn't out of my comfort zone and it wasn't an uncontrollable situation. I managed it just fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back