A&H

Advice regarding verbal abuse/confidence

Sounds good advice. I can't imagine this in my head. Someone quickly explain so I can delete my comment and not look stupid.
At grassroots, alone or with CARs and general best practice, is to keep the players in view - yes, they do silly stuff, and generally you need to be aware of what’s next.

Where’s the wall? Right side of the box… you pace the ten yards outside the rightmost player, so you naturally look left and can see the wall, GK, players in the box, and easily see the taker with a little turn. If you pace the wall to the left here, then as you look at the wall, those naughty players in the box are right behind you.

(Similar logic after goal is scored. Wait until players aren’t at risk. Don’t start writing head down in the middle of two teams.)

The ”correct” position for whistling the free kick is another story.

The Referee Store
At grassroots, alone or with CARs and general best practice, is to keep the players in view - yes, they do silly stuff, and generally you need to be aware of what’s next.

Where’s the wall? Right side of the box… you pace the ten yards outside the rightmost player, so you naturally look left and can see the wall, GK, players in the box, and easily see the taker with a little turn. If you pace the wall to the left here, then as you look at the wall, those naughty players in the box are right behind you.

(Similar logic after goal is scored. Wait until players aren’t at risk. Don’t start writing head down in the middle of two teams.)

Appreciate that. Really good advice.

Excellent - thank you! Very logical.

Seriously, this site is brilliant.

If you are a new/inexperienced ref and not getting observations or mentor support, it would take you forever to pick up the small but really helpful bits of advice that just pop up all the time on this site.

A visit to this site should be made a compulsory part of all ref training courses! 😍

Honestly, I have no clue how people get observations or mentor support. I email so many FA people and get no replies. This forum is my mentor.

Honestly, I have no clue how people get observations or mentor support. I email so many FA people and get no replies. This forum is my mentor.
The main league I'm on have set up their own observations this year. This isn't a high league at all - right at the bottom of the pyramid.

I've had 2 agreed observations this season and 2 where people have just dropped by as they were local. The 2 agreed ones have been written up (4 pages of diagrams and support). The person who has done mine is former PGMOL assessor so the discussions and feedback has been really helpful and I am really grateful for the investment that the league have been making into the refereeing side.

(Alternatively, I'm seen as a real issue and I need supervision 😳)

Last edited:
Back