A&H

Age Group Card Leniency

Status
Not open for further replies.

Josh

Level 4 Referee
A Friend Said this to me the other day and i wondered what we all thought of it. :)

"I have kind of adopted the following policy:
U11 - Most Red Offences Apply (Except OFFINABUS unless it is really offensive) but quite lenient on Yellows (Use of Managers is frequent)
U12 - All Red Offences Apply but slightly lenient on Yellows (Use of captains and Managers)
U13+ - All Yellow & Red Offences Apply with little leniency. "

The Referee Store
Certainly from U13 upwards I agree that you should use your cards, but I'm not quite sure why not OFFINABUS at lower levels??

With regards to DOGSO, it's really hard to do it, but even at u11 you do have to send off.

My county told me with DOGSO, you can have no leniency, and never consider circumstances, you have to show red - what about 7-a-side?

Certainly from U13 upwards I agree that you should use your cards, but I'm not quite sure why not OFFINABUS at lower levels??

His response was "explaining to the player and manager why it is unacceptable and possibly having them subbed for 5-15 would teach the player more than a ban & fine at that age." Not sure I agree but each to their own.

My view is that I have no OFFINABUS leniency no matter what age group but I would with DOGSO especially depending on the game situation. If it's 8-0 to a U11 team in the last 5 minutes you're not going to send off for DOGSO are you?

His response was "explaining to the player and manager why it is unacceptable and possibly having them subbed for 5-15 would teach the player more than a ban & fine at that age." Not sure I agree but each to their own.
You have no right to instruct a manager not to substitute a player. I know some say 'sub him or I'll send him off' but that takes some of your power away, meaning your decisions are affected by the manager's decisions. Similarly, if you did this, and then later on an opponent said something so outrageous that you have no choice but to show red then all hell will break lose if the manager of that team asks to sub him.

In Sheffield when I meet the managers for U11 games and below. I will tell them my feelings towards these incidents (eg caution = sub off and red like SFP,VC,OFFINABUS= send off. Most managers agree with this and are happ to abide by it. If a manager disagrees then I will referee as normal.

Sorry, i forget what your definitive answer on this topic was, Ryan :rolleyes:

That's not it -- it's that we've had this debate on the site several times before and, in doing so, have yet to come to a definitive answer.

I have never once allowed a manager to sub a player in lieu of a caution or dismissal, despite having several going apoplectic on the touch line calling for a sub.
My standard response is 'in a minute manager' then nice I have completed the sanction I allow the manager his sub....

For me u12 upwards attracts the full force of the laws....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back