A&H

Aggression

Essex ref

Hi everyone. Just wanted to say I am new to this forum but have looked at posts for a little while now.

Had a game this weekend (Under 16s) that I am hoping for peoples’ opinions on my handling of:-

To start the game there were a series of handball claims, not given purely because they were deliberate the ball being smashed at the player, flicking off knee onto hand, hand down clearly down by side etc. The manager then proceeded to berate these decisions rather loudly, no swearing or abuse. The game went on and white team player leaves a leg on the keeper, nothing serious but fairly deliberate. I warn him about his behaviour, no less than a minute later he jumps in recklessly and late on opponent, again minimal contact but reckless none the less. He is cautioned. Throughout the duration of the half I warned several players about what was bordering on dissent, all white team players. Just wondering what it takes for people to caution for dissent? General moaning e.g. that should have been a foul was what I had at that point so I hope warnings were best approach. Second half starts white player trips opponent, DFK awarded; he then proceeds to yell openly, loudly and obviously that I am “a joke”. I caution him. This decisions was criticised heavily by the manager (who was yards away) loudly, he swore in frustration something along the lines of this is a “f*****g joke”. I chose to talk to him calmly telling him to calm down and to be quiet basically. Was I too soft or just right? Nothing from him for most of the game until less than two minutes from the end, where there was a careless challenge on their player by the opponents (blues) which I signalled advantage for and yelled as best I could “Play on, advantage”. Despite this he shouted at me about the decision, which I chose to ignore. Final incident of the game, Blue fouls white via a push, white reacts angrily and squares up to Blue. I blow loudly, and pull him aside thankfully containing the situation, and caution him for USB. The manager of the White team came up to me and swore loudly at me. Could I have done anything different or was it just one of those games??

Sorry that was long but lots I wanted to get in!

The Referee Store
Hi everyone. Just wanted to say I am new to this forum but have looked at posts for a little while now.

Had a game this weekend (Under 16s) that I am hoping for peoples’ opinions on my handling of:-

To start the game there were a series of handball claims, not given purely because they were deliberate the ball being smashed at the player, flicking off knee onto hand, hand down clearly down by side etc. The manager then proceeded to berate these decisions rather loudly, no swearing or abuse. The game went on and white team player leaves a leg on the keeper, nothing serious but fairly deliberate. I warn him about his behaviour, no less than a minute later he jumps in recklessly and late on opponent, again minimal contact but reckless none the less. He is cautioned. Throughout the duration of the half I warned several players about what was bordering on dissent, all white team players. Just wondering what it takes for people to caution for dissent? General moaning e.g. that should have been a foul was what I had at that point so I hope warnings were best approach. Second half starts white player trips opponent, DFK awarded; he then proceeds to yell openly, loudly and obviously that I am “a joke”. I caution him. This decisions was criticised heavily by the manager (who was yards away) loudly, he swore in frustration something along the lines of this is a “f*****g joke”. I chose to talk to him calmly telling him to calm down and to be quiet basically. Was I too soft or just right? Nothing from him for most of the game until less than two minutes from the end, where there was a careless challenge on their player by the opponents (blues) which I signalled advantage for and yelled as best I could “Play on, advantage”. Despite this he shouted at me about the decision, which I chose to ignore. Final incident of the game, Blue fouls white via a push, white reacts angrily and squares up to Blue. I blow loudly, and pull him aside thankfully containing the situation, and caution him for USB. The manager of the White team came up to me and swore loudly at me. Could I have done anything different or was it just one of those games??

Sorry that was long but lots I wanted to get in!
In terms of cautioning for dissent, in the incident you described when there was lots of moaning from different players I would have a strong word with the captain and warn him that if it persists then you will use your cards. Your quiet word with the manager seemed to take effect, and it should have been mentioned in your match report. I don't know what league you do but I do SDJSFL and I mentioned yesterday that I was confronted by a dad after the game and less than thirty minutes after sending the report off the referees' secretary called me asking if I was alright and telling me that she would report it to the league and offered to report to the Essex FA, so from my experience they are pretty good at dealing with it.

I didn't mention here but incident was reported to both the league and ECFA. I do SDJSFL, it's a small world! Got similar treatment, very good in my opinion. Thanks for comments.

Please don't mention the teams involved. Not the best idea

Wouldn't want anyone getting into trouble would I? :)

I issued my first Red Card at the weekend to a player who whilst being brought across to administer a caution for a reckless tackle, called me a joke. Offensive, Insulting & Abusive.................I've discovered that I have a low tolerance level for insults directed towards me

I'm the wrong way, my tolerance levels are too low!

My torlerence levels were very low but now I try to man, manage situations when it comes to dissent and offinabus as most time swearing and dissent are frustration but if a player runs 20 to 30 yards into my safety zone I give them a final warning then if they come any closer they go in book or if something clear then I might caution when they argue with me or my nars if I have them

If a player decides he wants to get in my face, I simply take a step back. If he then decided to step closer to me, then a card is coming out.

I have low tolerance level too especially aimed at me, I don't take it to heart because I know most people shout at the person in black whoever it is. I've seen some referees let people get away with murder. I really hate managers getting aggressive/ shouting abuse, because I do boys/ girls youth/junior football anything like that gets 1 stern warning then straight to the car park, then they're the ones who have to explain to their 11 year old son why daddy left half way through the match.

I have a yellow card in my right shorts pocket so if a player is aggressive towards me, I slip it out, make sure he can see then allow the situation to diffuse before cautioning him. Seems to work well seeing as they know they've already got a yellow so don't want to turn it red.

Southend once you reach for your card you have to produce it. Instead point to the pocket where your book is and say any further player or any more aggression you go into the book

Since I started I kinda had a philosophy of if I'm going for my pocket the card comes out and instead I would recommend just point to where your book is and saying if not careful you will end up in here and I just think works better

Back