A&H

All was well until...

The other thing that annoyed me was when I spoke to the managers before the kick off , blue manager said , "im a level 5 and an assessor , but don't worry just do your job "

Tit! I have never idenitfied myself as a ref when playing.
It is impossible to do without sounding like a tit.

The Referee Store
Not sure why this annoyed you. Especially as he handled himself in a manner befitting his grade and roles.

When this happens to me (which it does occasionally) I just make light of it with a "great! good to have someone else who actually knows the laws of the game here today" (Ho Ho!). The only real thing their revelation does is mark that person out for no mercy if they don't behave in the manner expected of a refereeing colleague. :D

Just let it wash over you.
oh yes of course i didnt let any annoyance show, but i just felt that mentioning it may have had some kind of ulterior motive... i may be wrong though, trivial point overall really :)

Reactions: SM
This is only my own opinion mind but......

He had no need to mention it. He was there as a coach, not a referee. It was a case of one-upmanship on his part and nothing more.
He might as well have said "Oh and by the way mate, because I happen to be a Level 5 ref and assessor, it more than likely means that any decision you make that I contest or disagree with from the sidelines - you're probably wrong and it should probably undermine your authority and/or confidence - no pressure"...... ;)

Any smug coach who tells me he's a ref and assessor before a match will get the stock response from me:

"Not today you're not mate - you're a coach". :p

Besides, he may have been bullshitting anyway. No way of knowing...... ;)
either way, he was very well behaved during and after the game, it was just the initial mention that had me thinking what you were thinking.
i discussed the sending off with him after the final whistle and he said "fair enough" and that was it

I agree with this I think. Obviously if you showed a straight red, that's what you have to put through, but the incident as described sounds like a 2xYC situation to me - one for the dissent you were already planning to give and another for dissenting your decision to caution him! And I believe that carries only a standard 1 match suspension, as opposed to the 3 that he'd get for OFFINBUS?

I don't know what @Padfoot would suggest regarding suggesting a "downgrade" in your report, but it might be worth considering?
i've been considering things over the weekend and decided on the following;
i am going to obviously submit the straight red in the usual manner, with a very brief summary of what happened and what was said. I will not be expressing any sentiment in the statement and trust in the fact that as it really was a harsh sending off, that those that need to deal with the subsequent punishment will also consider it as such. my thinking is that ive done what ive done on the FOP, given my evidence and whatever follows is not my responsibility to consider how long a suspension he receives ; worst case scenario, the kid ends up with a little less pocket money, ive gained some experience, and we'll all move on.

i've been considering things over the weekend and decided on the following;
i am going to obviously submit the straight red in the usual manner, with a very brief summary of what happened and what was said. I will not be expressing any sentiment in the statement and trust in the fact that as it really was a harsh sending off, that those that need to deal with the subsequent punishment will also consider it as such. my thinking is that ive done what ive done on the FOP, given my evidence and whatever follows is not my responsibility to consider how long a suspension he receives ; worst case scenario, the kid ends up with a little less pocket money, ive gained some experience, and we'll all move on.

And on the bright side if he receives a 'harsh' punishment he might think extra hard about doing it next time.

Red was maybe a bit harsh however, I would have probably done the same thing in the moment. You could have given a second yellow though

Player didn't help himself but I do agree that a straight red for that comment is very much on the harsh side. Perhaps a very public "be very careful fella, you're on a yellow and it is close to turning red" might have sorted it out, but equally that might have only delayed the inevitable.

As an aside I was the manager of a team at the same time as I was a level 4 and then a 3. I didn't advertise this fact, but most of the referees knew who I was also the RefsSec and had appointed them to the game ..! Still I would never get involved with their refereeing though, I made sure someone else in the club marked them, and would only offer them any feedback if they specifically asked for it.

Back