A&H

Allegations of racial abuse

jamie0114

Level 7 Referee
Did a junior game this morning and after the game one of the parents told me that one of their players had been racially abused and was in tears. They didn't give any more detail than that, I just replied that I hadn't seen or heard anything so unfortunately there wasn't much I could do other than possibly putting it in a report. I did tell the other manager about the accusation but other than haven't done anything. Should I include it as a misconduct report or not?

The Referee Store
That is what I will do put it in a Epworth butake it absolutely clear that you disn't hear or witness the alleged incident.

You should definitely report it to the county FA. Send an email to disciplinary@whateverfa.com telling them that you had a report of racial abuse from a parent, and give names if you can. If they want you to report it more formally they will tell you how.

The FA guidance on this is very clear: even if you didn't see or hear anything yourself you must report alleged incidents of racial (or homophobic) abuse.

Cheers, just spoke to my brother who's also a ref and that's what he said. I'll put what was said in an email.

Also report it through Kick It Out please.

That is what I will do put it in a Epworth butake it absolutely clear that you disn't hear or witness the alleged incident.

This is very good advise. Be very clear that what you should be reporting is your conversation with the parent and not the alleged incident itself. Personally, from a bad experience, I am wary of reporting on the basis of an allegation alone but would always consider doing so based on specific circumstances.

This is very good advise. Be very clear that what you should be reporting is your conversation with the parent and not the alleged incident itself. Personally, from a bad experience, I am wary of reporting on the basis of an allegation alone but would always consider doing so based on specific circumstances.
If it's been brought to your attention it must be reported regardless of who reported it. All you can do is report what has been said to you along with the facts. If you haven't heard or seen it, you must say so. But, again it is very important that you report anything of this nature that is brought to your attention.

If it's been brought to your attention it must be reported regardless of who reported it. All you can do is report what has been said to you along with the facts. If you haven't heard or seen it, you must say so. But, again it is very important that you report anything of this nature that is brought to your attention.
I do agree with you but I am simply advising that referees should be careful when reporting allegations. For example, it would be good practice to ensure that you got a name from the claimant and some details about when, where and what happened and even then be brief in what you include in the report. Don't dig yourself too deep with a detailed report which you might find hard to justify if you didn't see or hear the incident.

Reactions: DB
Back