A&H

AR fixtures

heedmatt

Level 7 Referee
I know I'm only level 9 at the moment (2 games left out of 6) but after reading a few threads on here I'm curious as to how this works, how people end up receiving AR fixtures in higher leagues? Do you declare an interest to the league as an AR or do they simply thumb through the county handbook and give you a ring or is it based on something else? Also, regarding county cups and ARs, do you have to express an interest to the county to be considered for AR roles or will they just pick refs at random or based on marks throughout the season?

The Referee Store
Let you RDO know you are interested, speak to the "higher" leages in the area - probs inter county level - and express your interest to their Ref sec that you are reffing in league X and that you would like to AR at their legue.

Also attend anything that is AR related in your area. CFA meetings etc sp you are both telling them your interest, and doing the leg work too.

Could alsp be worth trying to get into an academy in the area (if there is one) so you can do the line there and ply your trade.

Youth games are perfect for learning to line and perecting the signals, running, keeping level etc as are on smaller pitch.

Worked this end, and got a final last year AR, at a Ryman ground and 400 + spectators.

But you MUST keep your reffing up to maintain the AR. Rule being that you can AR at a level above where you ref, but you will still need to get your minimum number of games in per year in the middle to keep at the level / going for promotion. Down here it's minimum 20 a season middles, in a 32 week period, so if you only do saturdays it can get squeeky if you try and fir in both.

Personal avice - get you L7 sorted, then do your 7 - 6 so you are a bedded in ref and got the experience of a game and how it all works, THEN start going for your AR appointments as no doubt the advance of the AR side will imede on your progress as a Ref.

i belive that when you get to 5 / 4 then you MUST do so many lines as part of the promotion criteria, so it will come either by choice or necessity.

Oh and book to go to conference and choose the AR apecific workshops..... Kev Child, Darren Englind, Sean Massey and Mike Mullarkey give great sessions!

I know I'm only level 9 at the moment (2 games left out of 6) but after reading a few threads on here I'm curious as to how this works, how people end up receiving AR fixtures in higher leagues? Do you declare an interest to the league as an AR or do they simply thumb through the county handbook and give you a ring or is it based on something else? Also, regarding county cups and ARs, do you have to express an interest to the county to be considered for AR roles or will they just pick refs at random or based on marks throughout the season?
A lot of the time from my experience, appointments are given out because people know you. The best advice I can give you is speak to your RDO, make sure that people in your CFA know that you are keep. Get to your local RA if possible because a lot of influential people can be found there and just get your face known.

/\/\/\ or grow an outragous tash / sidies / always wear red trainers so that they know who you are, not just a name on a list.....

and attend EVERY FA meeting

Thanks guys, I'd already emailed my RDO this afternoon looking to get in at Bradford City Academy so hopefully i'm on the right track. Was meaning to go to the local RA last Monday but was snowed under with work, next time though.

I'm Level 7 and examples of games/leagues I have done lines for are

Ryman U18 & U21, QPR Ladies, Brentford & Barnet academy games, Ladies Capital Cup, Ladies Premier League Cup, County Rep matches plus the odd semi final/final.

That's just youth & Ladies - plenty more leagues to do at o/a if you want to.

In our area these appts are quite popular but I probably end up doing between 10 - 20 lines across those leagues/teams mentioned in a season.

Back