A&H

Arsenal v Bayern

ladbroke8745

RefChat Addict
Great refereeing from the young Swedish ref.

Right at the end, I actually think he got it right. Saka, for me, moved his leg in to the keeper to initiate contact from him as he is coming out. But I feel the keeper stops just in time and Saka had to improvise to get the penalty.

The Referee Store
I'm a bit torn on it having only seen it from one angle so far. I'm leaning more towards Saka initiating the contact than Neuer being careless, but it is a very difficult call. The referee was very decisive, and certainly not anything that VAR could or should get involved in.

That's how you throw yourself into the conversation of the European elite. Once Marciniak and Orsato retire it seems like we have a potential replacement at the elite level.

Saka initiates the contact imo. Right leg moves away from his natural gate into neuer

That's how you throw yourself into the conversation of the European elite. Once Marciniak and Orsato retire it seems like we have a potential replacement at the elite level.
Ref in the Madrid - City game was flawless as well, actually got a shout out from the Dutch commentators for it.

Should Gabriel have conceded a PK for the handball after the substitution there? I like the sensible option of not giving that one, and in return, think Saka was absolutely looking for the contact here as well.
Content with both no-calls.

Thomas Tuchel is claiming they should have had a penalty for handball. The referee blows the whistle, Raya takes the goal kick, then Gabriel picks it up to take it again. Technically it is a penalty, the ball is in play and it was handled, but I can't see any referee at any kind of senior level giving that.

Thomas Tuchel is claiming they should have had a penalty for handball. The referee blows the whistle, Raya takes the goal kick, then Gabriel picks it up to take it again. Technically it is a penalty, the ball is in play and it was handled, but I can't see any referee at any kind of senior level giving that.
Just seen this...

How can it not be a penalty? It 100% is. Absolute brain fart by the defender but you have to give it. Massive error for me.

You can't decide not to give a pen just because it doesn't look right. Have the balls to give that Sunday league or wherever or what are you doing with the whistle?

Ref in the Madrid - City game was flawless as well, actually got a shout out from the Dutch commentators for it.

Letexier might be the most technically accurate ref in Europe when it comes to KMIs. Once he gets those soft skills down he'll be fantastic. There's a real chance that by 2026 or 2028 that France will have the top two refs in Europe.

Just seen this...

How can it not be a penalty? It 100% is. Absolute brain fart by the defender but you have to give it. Massive error for me.

You can't decide not to give a pen just because it doesn't look right. Have the balls to give that Sunday league or wherever or what are you doing with the whistle?

Come on. Spirit of the game just like when a player picks up a throw in that was technically taken legally. Bayern wasn't pressing. They didn't react like a gk had been taken. And this from someone who wanted Arsenal to lose.

Come on. Spirit of the game just like when a player picks up a throw in that was technically taken legally. Bayern wasn't pressing. They didn't react like a gk had been taken. And this from someone who wanted Arsenal to lose.
The 2 closest players appeal for it.

hard luck bayern, you don't get a nailed on pen because of some spirit of the game BS? Defender has f*cked up. Simple.

The 2 closest players appeal for it.

hard luck bayern, you don't get a nailed on pen because of some spirit of the game BS? Defender has f*cked up. Simple.

It's a difficult one imo because Arsenal gained no advantage from it(most if not all handballs are penalised because hitting the hand may of helped the defending team) and the defender obviously was not aware the ball was in live play

We could say the referee applied common sense to the situation but I can understand why the Bayern players and manager would be annoyed by it.

It’s a mind reading act as to whether the GK was taking the GK or giving it to the defender to take. The defender clearly thought it was the latter. I think the R made the right call. And I’m confident that the powers that be didn’t wNt the gotcha call of a PK there. And frankly, if I was a player on the other team, I wouldn’t want to be given the PK, either. Call me old school, but if I was playing and the R called a PK, I would have kicked it over the goal line when I took the PK.

I am now confused about what the ‘correct’ call is here. Do we apply the letter of the law and award a penalty? Do we apply the spirit of the law and ask ourselves “what would football want/expect?” and use common sense that the defender clearly didn’t realise the ball was in live play?

There are multiple plausible reasons that could be cited on either end. So, what should we - as a refchat community - decide is the correct course of action if this identical situation happened to us?

Was the GK taken, who decides? The referee.

I the referee decides the GK was not taken, no offence, simples.

I am interested in what the AR said.
In bigger games with comms we call every “backpass” and every goalkick “in play” just in case the referee has his back to the restart. I would have called in “in play” but I would not have flagged, knowing my ref would not want me to.

Was the GK taken, who decides? The referee.

I the referee decides the GK was not taken, no offence, simples.

I am interested in what the AR said.
In bigger games with comms we call every “backpass” and every goalkick “in play” just in case the referee has his back to the restart. I would have called in “in play” but I would not have flagged, knowing my ref would not want me to.
The ball is in play when it is kicked and clearly moves, which is what happened.

I understand the spirit of the game argument but I'm of the opinion that IFAB makes the laws and referees apply them including the ones we don't like. If IFAB wanted referees to have discretion here, they ought to have written it into the laws (and to my knowledge, they haven't).

Knowing which laws to apply and which to ignore is tricky; the safest option is to apply all as written.

Not that this matters as such for law but who took the goal kicks the rest of the game? I never watched it.

If Gabriel had been taking them all game I think this would help my decision

Back