A&H

Arsenal v Leicester

Your Decision?

• Total voters

Matthew

RefChat Addict
Leicester penalty. Discuss....

Never a penalty in a million years for me. Yes, Monreal has planted his foot but Vardy has gone into him and created the contact.

Last edited:
The Referee Store
It's a penalty for me, possibly a bit on the soft side be dinfintely a penalty.

Not convinced about the yellow though.

Jamie Vardy 100% initiates conact. It's the old Pires stick out my left leg to ensure contact dive.
If this were Ashley Young we wouldn't even be debating it.
No pen, caution for Vardy (though with only one view no ref will be sure enough to caution)

Yeah buts it Atkinson....a well known Spurs supporter!

Never a penalty.....
Leeds supporter actually. Lives within 2 miles of their ground and while he can't be found at Elland Road as often as Howard Webb is found at Millmoor or wherever else Rotherham happen to play, he's still LUFC through and through.

Very hard to vote as there were two penalty decisions to be made.
The first, Vardy, is an east penalty for me. Monreal's challenge is foolish, he misses the ball, and it's a trip. Vardy makes sure it is a trip. But it is an easy one for MA.
I thought MA was excellent. His yellow card decisions were good. His match control was good.
Replays showed the near side AR got a bad one wrong in the first half.
Everything was great except...
The Mahrez penalty decision. It has to be a penalty or a booking for simulation. I think it should have been a penalty. Monreal again. Turns his back as Mahrez bamboozles him. Monreal foolishly sticks out a heel and trips Mahrez, who, again, makes sure it is a trip. If you don't think it is a trip, with the way Mahrez goes down, you have to book him.

Not making a decision on the Mahrez penalty cost MA the game - a big decision not to make! I could have given a pen. That also probably cost Leicester the game - 2-0 would have been a big lead!
Simpson RC was a solid decision, has to be said.

...and on another subject, the football, for Ozil to come out on the winning side is a travesty. He was dismal for 94 minutes. OK he did then chip one on to Welbz but he was uncharacteristically embarrassing.

What about the Morgan challenge on Ozil at the start of the first penalty move?

I know what I think - but do you think Morgan was climbing/fouling Ozil?

Last edited by a moderator:
Naturally as a Chelsea fan, disappointed Leicester didn't win especially with the winner coming so late in the game. :(

Vardy made the most of the contact, but was a penalty for me. Monreal stuck out a leg and made it easy for Vardy. Typical lazy defending, which is common place these days, stick out a leg and make no effort to win the ball whilst simultaneously throwing the arms in the air feigning innocence.

Was it just me or did Atkinson miss yet another dangerous challenge? :eek: Drinkwater's lunge on Ramsey was late, 2 footed and could easily be sold as endangering the safety of an opponent.

Atkinson also did an excellent job of pretending to be deaf when faced with Arsenal players shouting abuse every time a Leicester player went anywhere near them. Whatever happened to referees carding players who wave imaginary cards? Sanchez (not the only one by any stretch of the imagination) has turned it into an art form every time he's fouled! :mad:

Just seen on motd2, for me nailed on pen made no effort to get his leg out of the way.
Leicester pen shout not given was good call & for me wasn't a dive either.
Two yellows for Simpson was both spot on.
Drinkwater was very luck not to be sent off.

So it's ok for him to leave his leg there even if it's going to trip an opponent

A player is entitled to his position on the field. Obviously we have to make a decision as to whether a play has been tripped carelessly (which would require some sudden defender movement toward the attacker) or has just been tripped (which would involve those incidents where a player knocks the ball round the keeper and then simply runs into the keeper - who has remained motionless).
Both are trips, both are not fouls

31347CE800000578-0-image-m-8_1455488889648.jpg

There is no trip at this point. Jamie Vardy has 2 legs planted as he is about to turn after the ball. He instead clearly makes a consious decison to just run into Monreal. ALL of Vardy's weight is on his right foot. He decides to flick out his left to Monreal's leg.
Like I said, if Young did this he'd be getting slated

In real time, that's a penalty all day and I suspect that 99% of referees would have given that. Easy in slow-mo to start doubting and analysing all different angles, etc. but the ref gets one look and I think made a fair call.

No. He made a wrong call....nothing fair about that.

Inexcusable at that level of the game.

I'm leaning on the side of no penalty here, although my instinct call was 100% penalty. This falls down to the argument I've heard many times before (and heard the unemployed Tim Sherwood repeat on MOTD2) - "He is entitled to go down".

Under what circumstance is a player entitled to go down? As far as I'm concerned, that is on the same level of where players stick their hand in the air, as if to wave a card, in attempts to encourage the Referee to punish accordingly.

Upon review, no penalty, YC for unsporting behaviour.

No that this matters, but I am an Arsenal fan who attended the game, and I am still leaning towards penalty. I agree with Monotone Whistle that I probably would have awarded it 99 times out of a hundred in a youth match. I do think it is wrong that Fabregas, Costa or anyone with a reputation for exaggerating contact is likely be treated differently from Vardy there, but given his speed at the time and the position of Monreal's leg, it's easy to see why Martin Atkinson pointed to the spot. Apart from not noticing a more obvious 'dive' from Mahrez in the second half, I thought he handled the game very well.
Furthermore, over the last five or ten years has the pointed interest in simulation not become disproportionate and contributed to widening the grey areas in law? Like handball offences, it would put everyone more at ease, I feel, if referees were advised to react to a clear foul/instance of unsporting behaviour, as opposed to trying to root out suspect tendencies through affirmative action/interpretation. Although discipline has probably improved over time, the priorities for referees should be to reduce tolerance of cynical fouling (persistent infringement is an insufficiently punished offence, and in that respect Atkinson did well yesterday with the dismissal of Simpson) and of dangerous tackles (e.g. Drinkwater on Ramsey). Perhaps I am alone here, but in terms of establishing a sustainable future for the game (aside from the debate on ancillary technologies), simulation strikes me as a non-issue in comparison.

Last edited:
Can I add two to the clueless pundits debate. Firstly, stand up Dad and take a bow. "You as a referee explain to me how Schmeichel was not sent off for that two footed challenge when other blokes have been and played the ball?" Que? :confused: (the clearance that launched an attack)

Danny Murphy on Drinkwater being a "defensive" tackle to protect himself or words to that effect. Really? Not defensive at all; cowardly and poor. Suspect it will be a "one of the officials saw it so we can't take action" case.

Whatever happened to referees carding players who wave imaginary cards? Sanchez (not the only one by any stretch of the imagination) has turned it into an art form every time he's fouled! :mad:
Don't remember this ever being a thing
UEFA tried instituting this a number of years back (maybe 2007? Not sure, but I think it was leading into a EURO competition). The referees didn't really implement it that much, so it fell back off the radar fairly promptly...

Too bad, it was a good idea I thought.

Back