A&H

At least he admitted it.........

mikedn

Referee/Mentor
Had a good match today, end to end football away team leading 1-0 against the run of play. A home player makes a tackle on an away player studs up and catches his boot, so stop play to give him a caution for USB (and a stern word) and give away team a free kick.
After the match the home player who was cautioned came up to me and said " are going to send that booking in?" i reply " yes i am"
He says " I know i done it but i just got carried away , i have never been booked before" i say "you have now, but at least you admit you were wrong" he says " i know i'm and idiot, so you are going to send it in then " i say " yes absolutely, perhaps you'll think twice about a studs up challenge next time" He just shook my hand then walked away..................... i have sent it in !!

The Referee Store
Why was he so worried about you sending the booking in? Most leagues allow 5 before a suspension don't they? He's a long way off that

Last edited:
Would you ask the police officer who has just pulled you for doing 38 in 30 zone not to put it in?

My old manager would get furious if I wasn't getting regularly booked. Something about commitment and giving it your all. Double fines for dissent mind you. But that was a defenders life in the 80's and 90's

Why was he so worried about you sending the booking in? Most leagues allow 5 before a suspension don't they? He's a long way off that
Discipline is managed and monitored by the County FA in England and not the leagues. You are correct as it would normally by 5 games before cautions on their own would result in a suspension.

Back