A&H

Junior/Youth being called a cheat.

ref craig

RefChat Addict
Level 5 Referee
A player yesterday said this just as I was walking towards himas I was only going to give a caution. But before I got to do that he said to me 'well it not my fault you do not know the laws of the game' so he turned it from a yellow to a straight red in a few words.

The Referee Store
It's so hard to differentiate between yellow card dissent and red card abuse just from the words said, you have to take into consideration a load more other factors eg what's happened up to that point in the game (other cards, dissent, style of match), who said it (what's he been like to you up to that point), how it was said (distance, volume, vitriol!), how you feel at the time (under pressure, "short fuse"). Personally just from the words used I would have given a caution for dissent, but that's me. We all have different tolerance levels, but we should be consistent in our application of law when specific words are used.

i had a goalkeeper call a player a dick of all things while we was setting up for a penalty, i could not believe it and decided that yellow was enough, it is not a harsh word but please, right in front of me and everyone else.

another player called me a cheat, good job i didn't hear it ( that is what i told the other team ).

There's 2 things that I will not be called on the field of play. They both begin with c funnily enough. Anyone calling me a cheat or the other c word are only going to one place. For an early shower.

There's 2 things that I will not be called on the field of play. They both begin with c funnily enough. Anyone calling me a cheat or the other c word are only going to one place. For an early shower.
i heard it too but i didn't know who said it, this would of been the first red card guess i was scared, fate has it i think it was the same player anyway, that i sent off a little later on.

If you didn't see who said not a lot you can do unfortunately. Never easy issuing your first red. My first was to an 11 year old who punched someone. Issued the red and got absolutely annihilated by parents/managers for doing so. I was told that I should have let him be subbed. How's he gonna learn if I'd have done that?

no way, where do people get his stuff from "he should of been subbed" laughing my head off!!!

i can understand a poorly timed 2nd caution take 'em off for another player or a DOGSO for using hands. it gives someone else a chance, something like VC or SFP or calling a ref "****" then tough love is best.

Surely "cheat" is pretty much the most offensive thing someone can call you?

Straight red every single time.

2 C words c**t and c***t both cause teams to lose players!

any name calling to me will be a straight red, referees should have respect, we all have it on our arms, we should stick to it

This season I've had one incident along these lines. The right back of a side who thought the ball had gone out for a goal kick (I wasn't in a good enough position to see) so calls me a cheating c*** in response. No other players heard it which caused me a bit of a problem, but I was in no doubt! 19th minute of the game, it's fair to say his manager wasn't very happy!

Cheat and C*nt are the two words which instantly turn any yellow (even a warning) to a straight red.

Hi guys, my first post since joining.
Hope you are well!

As a player, I once had a defender call me a c##t. I looked at him in surprise, and said "You say that like c##t is a bad thing. I love it and have spent most of my adult life chasing it. But, if you prefer d##k I guess that's up to you"

Next time I got the ball at my feet I ended up with 6 stitches in the back of my leg!

Fortunately, I have yet to be called that as a ref, but I don't think I'd be able to give the same response lol.

A player yesterday said this just as I was walking towards himas I was only going to give a caution. But before I got to do that he said to me 'well it not my fault you do not know the laws of the game' so he turned it from a yellow to a straight red in a few words.
But back to the OP ;)

It could depend on what the first caution was for - if for example, it was a reckless challenge, and he said that as you approached then simply "Well, that's a Yellow for the tackle, and a second Yellow for dissent".

Interesting one. Depending on the mood of the game, maybe keeping a yellow would suffice. However, if its a hot tempered game, maybe a red was correct. Personally, I would try and man-manage that situation (not to say you were wrong), but I don't think I would be sending off for it. It really is a had to be there moment I think.

As far as the 'c' words go, its a red all day.

I think this is a definite yellow as it would be really hard to sell if you sent the player off, i.e inviting yourself to all sorts of criticism and just loosing respect as a person never mind a referee. You could also easily loose your match control, also if you aren't going to caution this person for dissent when they say this when could you caution any player.

Back