A&H

Bellingham Red Card

If ball goes dead and time has elapsed unless it's a penalty it's game over for me.
Sure you'll get some moans but it's always easier to defend something correct in law. Play is not extended for a corner and the more we reinforce that, the less controversial it will become.
In this scenario, could you inform the players, or at least the captain that this is the last play?

Or is that setting yourself up to fail when there is a foul or handball in the box and you have to award the penalty? To cries of "YOU SAID IT WAS THE LAST PLAY"

The Referee Store
I got a bit of negative feedback from an observer for this once. I effectively extended time to allow for a FK - dead centre, on the edge of the D and I felt like the foul had been a fairly cynical "any foul is worth it if it stops an attack" hack, so it seemed unfair not to allow the FK.

FK is hit over, and (perhaps too) mindful of the advice not to let play end on a ball out of play, I let them take the GK. It's immediately headed back for a through-ball, at which point I feel like I have to end the game, and no one is happy. While I accept the observers overall point, he didn't want me to allow the FK - and I think my actual failing there was an over-adherence to a different piece of advice I was given: I should have just decided the game was over as soon as the FK missed.

In this scenario, could you inform the players, or at least the captain that this is the last play?

Or is that setting yourself up to fail when there is a foul or handball in the box and you have to award the penalty? To cries of "YOU SAID IT WAS THE LAST PLAY"
Eh, that scenario (penalty) is specifically entrenched in the laws that it can be done though.

I got a bit of negative feedback from an observer for this once. I effectively extended time to allow for a FK - dead centre, on the edge of the D and I felt like the foul had been a fairly cynical "any foul is worth it if it stops an attack" hack, so it seemed unfair not to allow the FK.

FK is hit over, and (perhaps too) mindful of the advice not to let play end on a ball out of play, I let them take the GK. It's immediately headed back for a through-ball, at which point I feel like I have to end the game, and no one is happy. While I accept the observers overall point, he didn't want me to allow the FK - and I think my actual failing there was an over-adherence to a different piece of advice I was given: I should have just decided the game was over as soon as the FK missed.
Agreed.
There is nothing in law, or guidance, to support not ending a game with the ball put of play.

I do it regularly. I think people think it's daft that we allow a goal kick and then blow up.

I think the only time it's really appropriate is a goal is scored. Mainly to avoid playing until they scored comments. Obviously if it's 5-0 then I don't really care about that either.

I don't think it needs changing as 99.9% of full time whistles will be blown without controversy. The 0.01% everyone else will just need to live with.
There's a saying that you don't make good law (legislation) based on hard cases. This is a perfect example, it only becomes controversial when someone gets into a highly unusual tricky situation.

Agreed.
There is nothing in law, or guidance, to support not ending a game with the ball put of play.

I do it regularly. I think people think it's daft that we allow a goal kick and then blow up.

I think the only time it's really appropriate is a goal is scored. Mainly to avoid playing until they scored comments. Obviously if it's 5-0 then I don't really care about that either.
Kicking off after a goal was also a useful management tool in the sense that, until recently, blowing for full time meant you couldn’t correct an error. So taking the KO also made sure you had the normal time for an AR to let you know there was a problem with the goal.

Kicking off after a goal was also a useful management tool in the sense that, until recently, blowing for full time meant you couldn’t correct an error. So taking the KO also made sure you had the normal time for an AR to let you know there was a problem with the goal.
Also helps selling the fact that the goal was scored while we were within allowed playing time and not just after full time.

Agreed.

Things that grind my gears Number 26:

Referees who wait until a throw in/free kick/goal kick are taken before blowing for half or full time. get it blown when the balls goes out of play FFS.

Great idea in theory, think the application of it would be far more challenging and the laws around timekeeping would need to be changed completely.

You could have 8 minutes added on, and then a team successfully keeping hold of the ball for 3/4 minutes in their attempts to score. 90 minute games suddenly become 100/110 minute games. So the likely suggestion is time is up at 90 minutes which would then increase timewasting.

It works well in rugby because a foul is penalised with a point scoring opportunity. The winning team could effectively kill the game by persistent fouling until the ball inevitably goes out of play.

I don't think it needs changing as 99.9% of full time whistles will be blown without controversy. The 0.01% everyone else will just need to live with.
There are often times towards the end of a season that both teams need a win and we are on full time. Ball next out of play to end game will mean both teams will try to keep the ball in play unless they have a chance at goal. Then your 3-4 minutes could well get into double digits. Good for spectators I guess but it does have inherent issues.

Things that grind my gears Number 26:

Referees who wait until a throw in/free kick/goal kick are taken before blowing for half or full time. get it blown when the balls goes out of play FFS.
In my games I take the ball back after HT and FT in most games. I never blow after the ball goes out of play. I wait for players to fetch the ball. Blowing just before or after restart depends on other contexts.

In my games I take the ball back after HT and FT in most games. I never blow after the ball goes out of play. I wait for players to fetch the ball. Blowing just before or after restart depends on other contexts.
Really old-school advice I was given as part of my first training ~20 years ago was that you should always wait for a player to fetch the ball and do the restart so that you can grab the match ball at the end of the game, and then hand it over to the home team once you've been paid. The implication being that if they refused to pay you, you keep the match ball instead!

Really old-school advice I was given as part of my first training ~20 years ago was that you should always wait for a player to fetch the ball and do the restart so that you can grab the match ball at the end of the game, and then hand it over to the home team once you've been paid. The implication being that if they refused to pay you, you keep the match ball instead!
Back in those days, the LOTG stated that the ball had to be returned to the referee at the end of the game . . .

Observers advice was, you blow after a goal kick with ball in the air, rather than when ball out of play, so you reduce players altercations at HT or FT as they are all spread across the pitch!

I feel you just wasting everyone’s time, so happy to blow when ball is out of play.

My scenario last week, was I said 4 added minutes, cup game, score 2:1 but team score 2 minutes in to added time to make it 3:1.

I wanted to blow after the goal but thought I needed to fulfil my time comment, you guessed it mass confrontation, no great drama but avoidable.

Would you end match at 3:1 when ball hits the net?

Observers advice was, you blow after a goal kick with ball in the air, rather than when ball out of play, so you reduce players altercations at HT or FT as they are all spread across the pitch!

I feel you just wasting everyone’s time, so happy to blow when ball is out of play.

My scenario last week, was I said 4 added minutes, cup game, score 2:1 but team score 2 minutes in to added time to make it 3:1.

I wanted to blow after the goal but thought I needed to fulfil my time comment, you guessed it mass confrontation, no great drama but avoidable.

No. The losing team is looking for someone to blame and you are giving them even more reasons to make it you.

Last edited:

Certainly not if you'd told them it would be 4 minutes, if it hit the net at 3:50 minutes you might get away with it, but not after just 2 minutes.

Back