A&H

Ben Foster 'Timewasting'

Andy A

Interesting one today at the Baggies game.

We had a free kick in our own penalty area. Ref (Kevin Friend) signals the sub to be made. Foster has the ball in his hands waiting to place it for the freekick. Sub comes on and Foster starts placing the ball, straight away Friend gives him a yellow for timewasting.

Now correct me if I'm wrong but if the play is stopped for a sub it can only be restarted with the whistle. Friend didn't blow the whistle before cautioning him and coupled with the fact time is added on for subs anyway I found this a strange decision.

Granted, Foster could have placed the ball beforehand but I still thought Friend got this wrong because Foster can't kick it until the whistle is blown anyway.....

The Referee Store
Can Friend blow his whistle to restart the game with it in his hands? Was it reasonable to expect it to be ready?

So in the 30 seconds or so Foster couldn't have put the ball where he wanted it? Sounds to me that he knew exactly what he was doing and chose not to be ready to restart, he gives the ref every opportunity to book him. Harsh perhaps but understandable.

Fair enough fella's, like I said he could have placed the ball before.

However I usually give a warning first before I card for timewasting, Friend certainly didn't warn him publically but that's not to say he didn't do so.

I would guess he had already been given a warning earlier in the game. I had this a few seasons ago in a cup game, where I'd already told the keeper to hurry up goal kicks. A sub was being made and he put the ball down, then once I blew the whistle to restart he picked it up and moved it to the other side of the goal area, so he duly got a caution.

Is a warning necessary where the attempt to waste time is obvious. DeGea didn't get one yesterday for his foolery.

Warnings are for those who are sailing close se to your tolerance levels- imo

Back