A&H

Bench/dugouts/technical area/whateverelse you want to call it!!!

Will Triffitt

Level 7 Referee
Hi, simple question, what is the best way of managing the technical area when you are the only qualified ref? Was doing a youth game and was receiving a lot of complaints from one coach (I've talked it through with RDO) but am aware that I could have managed it better. He was the only coach so was physio as well

The Referee Store
Will, it can always be tricky receiving grief from the sidlelines. Personally I will use almost a stepped approach, in this I mean first making them aware from about 15 yards away that you don't want to hear anymore from them, next I would go over, isolate the coach in question and tell him in no uncertain terms that if you have to come over again it will be to ask him to leave the technical area.

They think they can get away with anything if they are classed as the "physio" but one way around this is to ask the opposing team. "If a player goes down injured, would you mind dealing with the injury on the other clubs behalf?"

The threat is usually enough to calm him down though and if he knows he is the only one he would be daft not to clam down, the only time I have gone beyond just having a word is when i did the above only for him to come back with, "send me off then, do I look like I give a f***", Goodbye fella!!

Last edited:
They think they can get away with anything if they are classed as the "physio" but one way around this is to ask the opposing team. "If a player goes down injured, would you mind dealing with the injury on the other clubs behalf?"

You should not be asking the opponents physio to look after that clubs' players. The FA SCOR requires each club to have a qualified physio, which means you cannot send him away from the TA.

Your only option is warn him first, then deal with them by saying that you will report him to the CFA. Then become the most important statement:

"If you were not the only qualified person here, I would dismiss you from the surrounds of the FOP. You are allowed to remain to act as physio only. Any further comments from you may result in additional misconduct reports being made and if you are unable to control yourself, I will abandon the game due to your misconduct" - Make sure everybody hears the statement, so that there can be no doubt as to what will happen.

He can either learn or have 3/4 charges listed against him before the CFA. They will be grateful for the £200 in fines that would come.

Back