A&H

Blackburn v WBA

ladbroke8745

RefChat Addict
WBA forward Pereira has fallen too easily twice now in the area since Blackburn equalised, resulting in a free kick against him for one of them. The first one, the free kick given against him, I think was for handball as when he went down, he grabbed the ball assuming a penalty was to be given. If not a caution for diving, then surely one for deliberate handball?
Then goes down following a challenge by Jarvis, and reacts by grabbing his shirt and pushing him to the ground, even if timidly. No caution for his reaction.
Then his second "dive" goes unpunished. Why is he (ref) being lenient on him?

The Referee Store
Though, Jarvis should have got a red in my opinion for his obvious kick out at Periera which I'm guessing is his own retaliation to the push moments earlier. Yellow given.

Why?

Did he stop a promising attack?
Did he try to score a goal with a deliberate handball?
Did he try to stop a goal from being scored by the opponent, but fail?

No?

No reason to caution a deliberate handball.

No, he dived to try and win a penalty and assumed he'd get one and grabbed the ball too. That is a deliberate act. It is handball. And he tried to con the ref in the process.

No, he dived to try and win a penalty and assumed he'd get one and grabbed the ball too. That is a deliberate act. It is handball. And he tried to con the ref in the process.

Not every non-foul is a cautionable dive.

And grabbing the ball, as @AlexF already posted, is not a grounds for a caution under the Laws.

But as he was trying to con the referee with his dive?
I was addressing just your comment about surely a caution for deliberate handball and trying to point out why this would NOT be a cautionable offence.

I didn't see the play so cannot address the "diving" part.

One big issue is that the plays you mention have no context. I have no idea where they happened in the match because I wasn't watching that match. If you're discussing a play, mention the time of the match. It helps everyone else with the context.

Handling is only a mandatory caution if it prevents a promising attack and is never likely to be the case in the opposition's penalty area.

But as he was trying to con the referee with his dive?
You can't caution for handball because he was trying to con the referee. The laws are clear when a handball should be a caution.
You have two choices, DFK for handball or IDFK and caution for simulation.

Back