A&H

Brentford v Brighton

Yeah I get that. I saw an interview with MO once and he said he still shouts all of those things. I remember Mike Dean saying the same. It's part of being a fan I suppose.
Brilliant! I was about to ask what Mike dean must be like. Might get some LOTG based heckles for the next time I’m near the pitch 😂

The Referee Store
Dale Johnson from ESPN, who always seems to have insider information from PGMOL, said that Michael Oliver sent Andy Madley to the screen for a potential penalty but also told him there was a potential foul by an attacker in the build up. So Madley agreed it was a penalty but then decided there was a foul in the build up so gave a defensive free kick. Makes sense if you think about it, if the VAR can only recommend a review for a penalty for the referee to make the final decision, the same should happen for a potential foul in the build up as they are both subjective decisions.

Ball was still in play for about 30 seconds. Think he actually delayed blowing for half time purely on the basis that MO was reviewing. Think he actually stopped play with the ball outside the area, with Brentford in possession.
Think he restarted with a dropped ball to the keeper and then immediately blew for half time.
I believe correct VAR protocol if time is up at the end of a half but VAR needs to carry out check is referee should be advised to stop the game but not blow half-time/full-time whistle where possible. This means VAR can complete check without everyone thinking game has ended etc but prevents situation where if VAR decides original decision was correct then you don't end up with a team scoring in added time that didn't really exist.

If Brentford had possession outside the penalty area then presumably dropped ball should have been from place where last player touched the ball rather than back to goalkeeper in penalty area - see Nottingham Forest V Liverpool error.

Back