A&H

Brighton - Liverpool

Tealeaf

Lighting the darkest hour
Staff member
Possible DOGSO by Konate?

Fabinho lucky to get away with a caution for a tackle from behind?

I’m in the yes to both camp

The Referee Store
Not convinced Konate is even a foul - if we accept the concept of a legal charge, I think that was it. Definitely DOGSO if you give the foul though.

And yeah, agree Fabinho was lucky.

3 clips for VAR training.

I'm going DOGSO, Fabinho red - text book definition and Robertson was extremely lucky. Only seen one replay, but that was a ridiculous tackle

This is perhaps where the VAR "bar" has been positioned a bit too low. For me the challenge by Kounate on Mac Allister is a foul and red card for DOGSO, he has clumped him with force on the back of his head. Can just about accept some referees saying no foul though and therefore it not being a clear and obvious error.

I don't think any competent referee can look at Fabinho's challenge on Ferguson though without saying it is a red card. It was a shocker of a challenge, Fabinho knew what he had done and was fully expecting to be sent off. That was an absolute clear and obvious error and VAR should have been telling David Coote to go and have a look.

Luckily the decisions haven't affected the outcome, otherwise I suspect Howard Webb would have been getting a phone call from Brighton tomorrow.

Stone wall red for Fabinho, poor decision with VAR available

Any chance with VAR being Neil Swarbick, too inexperienced to send Coote over?

Fabinhos is a red for me

I also think DOGSO-r and SFP-r.

But I think it’s also entirely consistent with top flight refereeing and the extremely high bar for cards this season. Especially Konate. Fabinho I was expecting a visit to the screen.

Any chance with VAR being Neil Swarbick, too inexperienced to send Coote over?

Fabinhos is a red for me
If experience was an issue for recommendations then there’s no point them being there at all tbh

disclaimer: Brighton fan

Clear and obvious DOGSO and foul from Kounate, should’ve been sent off.
Fabinho should’ve been sent off, he applies a huge amount of force (I.e. excessive) to the back of Ferguson’s leg

I’d be embarrassed if I was the VAR in this game and didn’t get involved there.

Haven't seen the Konate incident yet. Given all the hoo-hah about it I thought the Fabinho tackle was going to be worse than that - there's actually relatively little force in the challenge. Given the facts that he's coming from behind and has caught him high with his studs I would still expect a red, but if the referee's told VAR he doesn't believe there's sufficient force for it to be SFP, then I can understand VAR not recommending a review.

Haven't seen the Konate incident yet. Given all the hoo-hah about it I thought the Fabinho tackle was going to be worse than that - there's actually relatively little force in the challenge. Given the facts that he's coming from behind and has caught him high with his studs I would still expect a red, but if the referee's told VAR he doesn't believe there's sufficient force for it to be SFP, then I can understand VAR not recommending a review.
I'm a Liverpool fan, so also biased.

For me Konate was stronger but slightly behind the player when he moved into him, so my heart was slightly in my mouth - one of those we've all 'seen given'! Similarly for Fabinho - strong yellow, possible red - although it looked much worse on the replay than in real time. I was a little surprised to see no more action - but hard to say a yellow was a clear and obvious error.

Like all of these, they are subjective judgements at the end of the day, so it's not surprising there is disagreement - and the very fact there is a range of opinion is why VAR shouldn't step in and re-referee any but the most obvious incorrect nonfactual decisions (which will be down to unfortunate positioning or mis-identifying players, in the most part).

"As part of a drive for transparency within PGMOL, the organisation has privately let it be known there was enough evidence to warrant a red card."

not sure their definition of transparency is consistent with what the rest of us would think

perhaps a very small first step...

"As part of a drive for transparency within PGMOL, the organisation has privately let it be known there was enough evidence to warrant a red card."

not sure their definition of transparency is consistent with what the rest of us would think

perhaps a very small first step...
We're being so transparent we're leaking this information.

• Haha
Reactions: es1
Back