A&H

Buffon leaves his mark

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yampy

RefChat Addict
At the start of the second half, TV pictures clearly show Gigi Buffon marking his goal area with a couple of scrapes with his studs. ( You can clearly see at least 3 markings a moment later).
Pay attention Mr Oliver and get your cards out.

The Referee Store
Penalty looked extremely soft, minimal contact and Vasquez went down like he had been shot. Mass protests from Juventus players, Buffon looked like a man possessed and got in Michael Oliver's face resulting in a straight red for the veteran keeper.

Real scrape through after being outplayed for 90 minutes...

surely having given the pk, for a foul central, four yards out, its a red to the Juve defender! How much more clear and obv does it need to be than a striker about to header from four yards bang in the middle of goal
Buffon, well, Oliver has prev for taking no nonsense when players touch him but old chestnut, must be for offensive etc, as, although Buffon was raging, there was certainly nothing equating to an act of brutality!
The pen itself, yes for me but devastating for Juve, they did not deserve that

surely having given the pk, for a foul central, four yards out, its a red to the Juve defender! How much more clear and obv does it need to be than a striker about to header from four yards bang in the middle of goal
Buffon, well, Oliver has prev for taking no nonsense when players touch him but old chestnut, must be for offensive etc, as, although Buffon was raging, there was certainly nothing equating to an act of brutality!
The pen itself, yes for me but devastating for Juve, they did not deserve that

Agreed soft or not, it is a pen! As Miley points out 4 yards away why on earth as a defender you do sth that gives the attacker anything like that!!! And I really feel sorry for Buffon, he's not that player. His rage got the best of him....

Penalty looked extremely soft, minimal contact and Vasquez went down like he had been shot. Mass protests from Juventus players, Buffon looked like a man possessed and got in Michael Oliver's face resulting in a straight red for the veteran keeper.

Real scrape through after being outplayed for 90 minutes...
Soft? Penalty, full stop.
Lucas Vazquez is 5 yards from goal (as close to an open goal, you'll see), and Benatia pushes him from behind before attempting to hook away a clearance.
Buffon laid hands on the referee, had to go for that alone. Why Benatia wasn't dismissed too is a mystery.

Last edited:
Soft? Penalty, full stop.
Lucas Vazquez is 5 yards from goal (as close to an open goal, you'll see), and Benatia pages him from behind before attempting to hook away a clearance.
Buffon laid hands on the referee, had to go for that alone. Why Benatia wasn't dismissed too is a mystery.

I think maybe just maybe Oliver was thinking this isn't a DOGSO but rather a careless foul that happens to be in the box and hence a penalty or maybe the fact that he was quickly surrounded and attacked like that got him confused. I personally don't believe it merits a red, penalty definitely!

It has to be a red for Beatia ( sorry I did not know his name when i did my other post)
Surely in the dealings with Buffon the red card has not been over looked?!!

At the start of the second half, TV pictures clearly show Gigi Buffon marking his goal area with a couple of scrapes with his studs. ( You can clearly see at least 3 markings a moment later).
Pay attention Mr Oliver and get your cards out.

That rings a bell from my course, your not allowed to mark the pitch is that right? Do you know the official term?

I think maybe just maybe Oliver was thinking this isn't a DOGSO but rather a careless foul that happens to be in the box and hence a penalty or maybe the fact that he was quickly surrounded and attacked like that got him confused. I personally don't believe it merits a red, penalty definitely!

Four yards out in middle of goal and about to header a ball thats gently coming towads him straight on? How much clearer do you want it? Had it been on the ground to his feet its a tap in!

I'm going to assume that Benatia should have been dismissed for a second yellow? I am wondering if anyone deems that challenge not an "attempt" to get the ball, because based on a previous discussion regarding a goalkeeper in which I was hounded out for suggesting I thought it was an intentional trip, it seems that Benatia's challenge should fall within "an attempt" therefore it couldn't be a straight red, but a second yellow because he was previously booked.....

I'm not sure how much contact there was from behind. The forward was about to score so Benetia has to challenge for that ball. He did make contact from behind and tried to hook the ball around but Vasquez made sure it was a penalty with his theatrics. I think based on the shove in the back, it has to be a penalty, however I have seen freekicks routinely not given outside the area and around the pitch for similar i.e a bit of contact on the back or a light push or hand on the back in-conjunction with a tackle, header or clearance. I don't think the contact was that dissimilar from when a defender is behind a forward and wins a head from a throw in and makes some contact with the player standing in front of him, bit like I said, given the scenario and the opportunity to score it has to be a penalty.

Interesting considering the players wreck the pitch anyway.
well the key word is unauthorised, i think this was put to deter the keepers from making markings that could affect the trajectory of the ball during a PK but i could be wrong.

DOGSO by means of a push. Still a red, yes? Besides, Benatia was already on a yellow so even a second caution would see him go.
It's a small quibble regards Michael Oliver because he did a great job overall.

DOGSO by means of a push. Still a red, yes? Besides, Benatia was already on a yellow so even a second caution would see him go.
It's a small quibble regards Michael Oliver because he did a great job overall.

Can I throw in, had Oliver booked Ronaldo for simulation on 44 mins, then Ronaldo would have walked too. Although maybe on a yellow he would not have throen his top away....

BT 's coverage gets worse. Comments are rarely impartial or objective. Expected more from the likes of Lineker, suggesting Michael Oliver should overlook Buffon's aggressive behaviour and shoving him "because it could be his last game" :mad::wall:

He pulled him twice, then when he tried to back away he carried on getting in his face. Well done Michael Oliver, players cannot and should not be able to treat referees like that and hopefully a message has been sent out. We also don't know whether he said anything at the same time.

Personally I think the penalty is soft, but from Oliver's angle he will see both hands on the back of the attacker and that has probably made his decision.

Buffon had to go, you just can't push, shove and scream in a match official's face and expect to stay on the pitch. The precedent has to be set and he crossed the line big time. If that doesn't warrant a red, a player will be doing it every other week and expecting a yellow. Well done Oliver.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back