A&H

BVB Vs RB Leipzig

The Referee Store
Looks more like a penalty + caution to me? Contact starts outside the penalty area but continues inside (though I know this isn't holding, not sure why the same principle wouldn't apply).

Last edited:
Yeah, I always thought if the contact continues, then pen.

But that is probably just for holding, and I very much doubt the German refs, especially with the few minutes they got with var intervention got it wrong.

1000010850.png

For me he's still in control at this moment, it is the very deliberate follow through that takes him out.

If this was 90th minute or if RBL had lost. I think this would have exploded.

Looks more like a penalty + caution to me? Contact starts outside the penalty area but continues inside (though I know this isn't holding, not sure why the same principle wouldn't apply).
Continuing is a holding concept as the fouls is it is an ongoing offense By its nature. For ther fouls, the question is where the contact that makes it a foul occurred. (And there could be more than one foul moment, depending on the nature of the contact, but generally it is going to be the first contact.)

Continuing is a holding concept as the fouls is it is an ongoing offense By its nature. For ther fouls, the question is where the contact that makes it a foul occurred. (And there could be more than one foul moment, depending on the nature of the contact, but generally it is going to be the first contact.)
Agree, and if you slow it down here the contact that causes the player to start to go over certainly appears to be (just) outside the area.

Also have to remember that he makes the VAR signal so must have given a penalty originally, and they will have the technology to see exactly where the impacting contact was. Interestingly though he then shows a red card but doesn't then appear to show a yellow card being rescinded.

1702224812968.png

Agree, and if you slow it down here the contact that causes the player to start to go over certainly appears to be (just) outside the area.

Also have to remember that he makes the VAR signal so must have given a penalty originally, and they will have the technology to see exactly where the impacting contact was. Interestingly though he then shows a red card but doesn't then appear to show a yellow card being rescinded.

View attachment 7015
If that was a penalty no way can it be a red. Irrelevant of what you think he knows he is doing hes mighty close to the ball here so can't see anything other than yellow as an attempt/challenge for the ball.

Decision looks correct. Just outside area and red card. In real time I think I'd have given the penalty, he practically ends up in the middle of the area after the foul ! VAR is good for something after all...

If that was a penalty no way can it be a red. Irrelevant of what you think he knows he is doing hes mighty close to the ball here so can't see anything other than yellow as an attempt/challenge for the ball.
Nowhere near to making any contact with the ball.

A cynical and tactical foul to stop the player from having a shot.

Red and a penalty for me.

Nowhere near to making any contact with the ball.

A cynical and tactical foul to stop the player from having a shot.

Red and a penalty for me.
Not sure you can say he's 'nowhere near the ball', he gets pretty close to it IMO. If it's a cynical and tactical foul it seems a strange thing to do in the 11th minute knowing you're going to get a red card.

Last edited:
That's my point though, think we are agreeing. I would expect when he initially gave a penalty he would have cautioned, so when VAR intervened and said it was outside I would have expected to see him take the yellow out and cross his arms to say it was rescinded, only then show the red.

That's my point though, think we are agreeing. I would expect when he initially gave a penalty he would have cautioned, so when VAR intervened and said it was outside I would have expected to see him take the yellow out and cross his arms to say it was rescinded, only then show the red.
Yep. I was always in agreement. I replied to you as you had the picture rather than in direct reply. 👍

the still is very different to the video.

Maybe it is an attempt to play the ball.
A still can make things look different, fully accept that. But the distance between foot and ball is still very much the same whether on a video or a still from it, and he was most definitely not "nowhere near to making any contact with the ball", we are talking a fraction of a second late.

Back